How do I swap 280zx struts on to a 510 ?

Ok , I know this question is always asked but I just get confused by all that people say and I haven't found a stable solution , so I have the chance to buy some 280zx struts for my 510 but I don't know how to install them or set them up . Do I just need the struts off of the 280zx or do I need other parts off of it ? And about the brakes I don't really care if the brakes are larger or the stock brakes so I'm confused can I only use the strut bars off the 280zx and still use my stock 510 brakes ? Or if I want to use 280zx brakes what do I need inorder to accomplish that ? Because my 510 is a rear wheel drive so I don't know how all this will be set up ? I also know I need coilovers to have a good ride . But I've heard about people cutting off there 280zx strut bars and others welding them ? I'm just so confused please help ?

Thanks for the help .

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@redbanner , so would I just need to shorten off the stock 510 struts to the zx size ?and use zx inserts instead of 510 ?

Well to tell you the truth, not to be offensive but just based on the questions you asked, I would buy zx inserts, and take your struts to a machine shop and ask them to section them down to fit the inserts.

If you want to try and do it this is what you do.

Remove the spring perch by grinding the welds off, dont grind into the strut tube itself, very important.

Then you cut the top off the tube, about 4 inches from the top.

Put the insert into the strut tube, and slide the gland nut on. Measure from the top of the tube (your cut) to the top thread of the gland nut. Then cut the removed section of tube to that length and weld it back on. Slide the spring perch back on, and reweld it to the tube. You can use split callors instead of welding the perch.

There are lots of advantages to doing this rather than swapping to zx struts..... but at this point im sick of typing.

Also interested on why you want zx struts if not bigger brakes the... track width? More low? Because every one else has em?

My 710s both stop exactly the same. One with zx one with stock shortened struts.

Also interested on why you want zx struts if not bigger brakes the... track width? More low? Because every one else has em?

My 710s both stop exactly the same. One with zx one with stock shortened struts.

This was my point. ZX struts arent needed at all depending on why you want them. There are cheaper alternatives with less work. 

Sorry if i sound confusing but its cause alot of people tell me different things but Ok so if I just want to lower and camber my 510 and don't care about brake size what do I need to do ? Is it possible to still use my 510 stock struts ? If so how could I do this and what would I need ? Thanks and sorry for the confusion .

Ok. At this point im insisting you research. When I started doing this there was no internet info on datsuns. You have the world at your fingertips. I made it thru it. You, with the tools available today should be very well off.

Back in the day (lolz) we just pulled the struts, popped open a beer, or rolled up a lefty, and figured it out. Now days there are alot of write ups and walk thrus available.

Welcome to ratsun, ibe explained way more than I cared to, you will find that here people are mostly opossed to spoon feeding info that is very readily available.

Datzen mike will probably copy paste his spring perch lowering guide in the a.m.

280zx struts will bolt in and be  1.5in lower, but spring and perches on 280zx stuff is to big(wider). So then the option is use 510 perch & spring with a collar clamp or reweld to desired position  or do coil-over/top hats/ camber plates?

stock 510 top hats will bolt on 280zx inserts.

You can shorten 510 struts, but you don't get a brake upgrade....280zx struts also reduce track width about 3/4in.(Each side) Helps in wheel fitment also.

Many ways to do it and many reasons why to do it.

My set up is shortened 510 struts to fit 280zx inserts. Spring perch is adjustable via 2" collar clamps.(poor mans coil-overs....Kinda)
I have Old Nissan Comp springs....A bit stiffer than just cutting stock springs.

I have Brembo rotors so my brakes are better than stock.....but I want to do 280zx struts to bring in my front wheels a bit...Running 15x7 O-offset

• Like 2

Welcome to Ratsun. I'm not gonna give you a hard time about being confused on ZX struts. Not too many months ago I was confused too. Here is a thread I Bookmarked that gives a pretty good write up on strut swapping: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34171-280zx-struts/

On page 2, datzenmike has great pics of cutting off spring perches and everything you need to do. I'm still in the process of doing this myself. I'm doing it to firm up the front end, get a little lower, and the bigger ZX brakes (even though I understand they may not be REALLY needed on a 510. Knowing I have BIG brakes will make me feel cool, I know it will). It is probably cheaper and easier to swap on ZX struts than to have your 510 tubes shortened, but I have no idea on prices in your area. I always think of machine shops being really expensive (to shorten your 510 struts), but you should check around, and see how it compares with whatever price you have to pay for ZX struts and brakes.

And like everyone else says -PICS. We want to see pics of every 510 in the world.

Len

• Like 1