Distributor Identification: My B210

Kirden

Ok, so I was asked a while back to take a pic of my distributor in my build thread. I didn't think much of it, but tonight I went searching through the tech wiki on the 1200 forum. I was looking for info on locking the distributor, but what struck me as odd was that it looks like my car has a pertronix kit in it.

My close up pic (horrible angle and quality):

SAM_0196_zps4c303de9.jpg

1200 forum pic of B210 distributor:

4191.jpg

1200 pic of pertronix:

245.jpg

The reason this confuses me is that this is a 78, which should have come with a stock electronic distributor.

Now the person I bought the car from told me that the person he bought it from (follow me for a minute) left it sitting because he could never get the engine to idle. Supposedly it would crank and rev, but wouldn't run well.

So, if this is indeed a pertronix, would it be possible that this idle issue was caused by hooking it up to the stock EI coil?

I'm not home so I can't run out and check the coild or get better pics. Just noticed something odd and figured I would ask the brain trust :P

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a normal '78 remote igniter EI dizzy to me. There were no matchbox type until '79.

The remote igniter is basically the same as the matchbox setup, but the 'box' is much larger and is mounted inside the car usually under the dash. Get a meter and measure the coil primary resistance, I think you will find that it's normally between 0.84 and 1.02 Ohms.

Yea, I just saw someone mention an HEI module for it. Its more difficult digging for info on a-series, but its kinda fun too. I've said this before, but I actually plan on doing some work on the car this weekend...