Why would a fuel pump be hotwired?

KFD

So I had a pesky voltage drain, which turned out to be a really sweet hardware store lamp switch that controlled the fuel pump. I read about the testing the relay by disconnecting the black spade connector at the starter. Pulled that connector, and surprise, car doesn't crank, but I can hear a relay clicking. Okay, relay sounds good. Where is the grommit running from the fuel pump through the body? I will check the chafed wires there, this weekend I will crawl under the car to see why the pump was hot-wired. I found out that if I turn that switch off when I turn the car off, the battery isn't dead the next day!

...And the radio still resets every time the brake pedal is depressed! Everywhere I tested the accessory circuit it does that. Okay, so I can run the +12v ignition source somewhere else, but for now, I care more about why that would cause the radio to trip...

What else do I need to look for? This is a 10/76 car, I saw the big silver relay with two plugs running from it above the hood release, but I swear I saw a relay under the passrnger's seat...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the heck would the radio reset with the brake pedal thats odd as all can be. I took my acc for my radio straight from the original one sounds like your op did some funky wiring. And what ztrain said people hot wire the fuel pump for priming reasons and a direct current all the time. Sounds like you need a soldering iron and some shrink wrap work out those gremlins