Need help

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert but it sounds like you may have adjusted the air/fuel mixture a little to much on the lean side.

You don't exactly say what you were "messing around" with on the carb so a little more info may help solve your problem.

Perhaps you may just have to reset your air-fuel mixture by bringing out the screw about 2-3 turns from all the way in when engine is warm.

What did you adjust?

On a warm engine (assuming valves and timing set correctly) set the idle speed slightly low so changes are more noticeable. Turn the idle mixture screw in slowly until idle becomes rough. Turn the idle mixture out until it becomes rough. Select a spot where the idle is the fastest and smoothest. Turn the idle back down if needed. Repeat this (sometimes 6-8 times) until you cannot improve the idle quality and the idle speed is 750-850. Idle mixture and speed is now correct.

Do not do this on a cold motor.

On cold start up it's common for a steamy exhaust.

I like to run one before the pump and one after the pump. This protects the pump from any debris in the tank and protects the carb should the pump fail and come apart inside.

If you are still using the stock fuel pump, you can keep both filters right in the engine bay. I like to use clear ones so I can keep an eye on the filter element.