720 issue! no power

curs2cmine

Ok I got an 85 720 and I freakin love it! Except........ It has absolutely no power to speak of... Its running really rich to the point of smokin... It has a Weber 32/36 on it new plugs wires cap button and is timed correctly... An yes the secondaries on the Weber are functioning correctly... Im at a loss... I need help!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be lots of things even over filled with oil.... seen that before. Check those things I said first before doing a compression test. A tight valve(s) would also lower compression and drop power. 

Blue smoke is likely rings but always do the simple/cheap and easy checks first.

The choke is fully open when warm.... Guess ill be doing a valve adjustment sat and compession test... It has 162,000 on the truck no clue on motor after getting into it so much there are tons of things pointing at the motor not being the original one... correct me if im wrong but the 85's came with two engine options.. The z24 and 24I right?

Yes there were three gas engine options besides the SD25 diesels in '85. The only difference between them was being either carburetor or fuel injection. All Z20 engines were carb but on the Z24, April '85 and on were called Z24i motors. The ( i ) is a descriptor for throttle body injection. Previous to this the Z24 was simply a Z24 or Z24(S) with the 'S' a descriptor for carburetor. No descriptor after the Z24 is automatically assumed to be a carb.

The Z24i was also used in the next generation D-21 pickup from 86.5 through '89.