How to restore stock ride height 1970 521

MD_Spencer

I am new to this forum and to Datsun trucks but not Datsun vehicles. I am picking up a 1970 512 tomorrow and one of the things I well need to address right away is the ride height. The truck has been lowered 3” and the current owner (who bought the truck this way) says that the ride is very harsh over bumps. What I would like to do is return the ride height to stock. Here is the issue. I can find all kinds of information on how to lower the truck. I can figure out how to do the process in reverse but what I don’t know and can’t seem to find any information on is what was the stock ride height? Where should the torsion bars be indexed to for a stock and what size (in inches) were the rear blocks before the truck was lowered? Thanks in advance and I will post some pictures of the 512 soon.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would take the blocks out. you'll have to find shorter u bolts cause the ones that come with lowering blocks are way longer or you may be able to cut those down so they don't stick down too far. from there just crank the torsion bars back up until you get it somewhat even.

as you can see in this pic the u-bolts are quite longer.

DSC02678.jpg

this was the stock height on mine before i lowered it

DSC02681.jpg

Hello from Seattle!

I raised mine back up when I got her in February....pretty easy.

For the backs, jack up the back to access the axel and blocks.  mine were pretty rusted on, so used some oil to loosen the nuts. I lowered the nuts to the end of the brackets and was able to take out the blocks.  I chose to keep the U brackets so I tightened the nuts back up and then used a saw-zaw to cut off the ends of the U that were sticking down.

For the front just turn the torsion bars. There are lots of "how to's" on the web.  Some of them make it sound really complicated, but find the 2 torsion bars and see where then wind up under the cab. Make sure the front is jacked up and then loosen the lock nut and then turn torsion bar...you won't see the results until you lower it and kinda bounce the front a couple times.....it took me about 3 times until i was happy with the height....