had my Z32 broken into, need experienced advice

this afternoon i discovered my Z broken into. 

they had busted the front passenger side glass, and unlocked the passenger side door.

i found the rag they most likely used to bust the glass in with. 

all my doors were locked, windows up, and i have a security system.

insurance: i have full coverage under progressive, deductible: $500

damage: 

besides the broken glass, they ripped out the center console, stole the (aftermarket)

stereo deck, made a mess of things, hacking at wires and what not, stole the amp,

luckily i had previously taken the subs out. honestly i dont even care about the missing

sound system, it was put in by the previous owner. but i wouldnt mind getting the money

for its value and then using it towards something else. 

2 choices:

i could either just source a used window and replace it for probably under 200. 

OR

i can call insurance and hope everything totals out to more than $700.

i know SOME insurance companies will cover aftermarket stereos, etc, and some wont 

so im looking for YOUR experiences.

when in comes to uncontrollable instances like this, i dont even get mad. it's only

been a few moments and im already past it. NOW i just need help deciding what to do. 

ratsun is a great, close community much unlike many other forums and although i appreciate

any condolences and such, i would like to keep this thread on topic and ask for 

only the advice of people who have been through this shit before. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the company really. Provided you can prove current value and that it was really in the car they should cover it. My renters cover my truck for theft and they dont even want pics unless the value is over 1k. My classic car insurance on the z will cover w/e I claim under the agreed upon value. Both of course with a police report and what not. 

I dont know how Prog will work it but thats my exp. Sorry to hear about the break in, really sucks. 

If you claim it your insurance rates will likely go up, maybe not, it also depends on the company. the insurance will likely write the window cost alone out at over $500, even though you can get one for like $50 at a junkyard. the console and stereo wiring, if they damaged the car harness as well would be another several hundred on the write up. as for the stereo, the insurance company might not cover it at all if it was aftermarket, this would also depend but you may have to call that one a wash.

Man.. that sucks. Sorry to hear about this. I should have the dash connectors if you need any. Although if you are claiming insurance, I'd quote a new dash or interior harness all together.

update so far. 

so i ended up calling progressive just to ask questions.

the main question was, IF i make a claim, do i have the option of paying out of pocket 

or am i obligated to pay my deductible and have progressive take care of it. 

might sound silly but i wanted to be positive. 

so i filed a claim and i agree, i think the adjuster is going to quote all the damage (to the

oem stuff) pretty high and that in the end ill have money to spare, especially since ill 

just have em write the check and buy used/yard parts.

ill let yall know how it goes

If it helps any, there are 3 of those at the ecology junkyard in rialto on riverside ave and santa ana. Sometimes insurance is a wash when its not enough loss to make the deductable worth paying. Doors are around $40 so the glass should be $25ish since the glass is a major selling item. Just make sure you bring a cordless drill and some jumper wires to use the battery to roll up or down the glass if it is power windows. If you carefully take your own door panel apart before you go, you can have the minimum necessary tools to take in with you when you get the glass. THat ecology yard has some beat up shopping carts to use there and it is on cement throughout the yard. 

Good luck on fixing the car and may the a$$wipes that did that die a slow internal hemorraging death as soon as possible.