Head gasket question.

vanmansam

Would have posted in my build thread but no one ever answers the tech questions I ask over there.

I recently rebuild the top end of an l20b for my wagon. A little over 1200 miles on the engine.  Was doing some work in the engine bay and noticed that the area between the head and block looks gooey and theres even a spot where you cans see some coolant leaked out. Started to freak out

No oil in water, no water in oil, no coolant loss, good compression.  All signs of good HG.  

But that goo is worrying.  

Wondering if re-torque is a good idea or would aggravate the situation.   My fel-pro gasket said "no re-torque" on it but I dont know if that means strictly dont do it, or more like an advertisement as in "our gaskets are so good you wont need to re torque!!". lol

Just looking for reassurance or guidance from anyone who has seen something like this.

Thanks guys

-Vanman

qXrSTX8.jpg

you can even see a larger leak toward the front cover.

jPwHwUb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't have to but you can if you want. Be sure that the motor is stone cold first. Do the bolts in any order but only loosen and tighten them one at a time right up to 60 ft. lbs. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You shouldn't have to but you can if you want. Be sure that the motor is stone cold first. Do the bolts in any order but only loosen and tighten them one at a time right up to 60 ft. lbs. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

^^^^^^^^^^ What Mike said.