I've searched... weird roadster headlight issue... anybody seen this?

(Apologies in advance:  I type quickly, and usually try to give as much information as possible, so this might get long!)

Searching high and low for anyone who has had my problem led me to this great site -- I've already learned a ton, and certainly look forward to learning more!  I don't know if I'll ever have anything of value to -contribute-, but I'll try to keep an eye out.

I have a weird headlight issue, and I don't see any other reports of similar symptoms... anywhere.  Thought I might as well ask here to see if I'm really just missing something, or I have an unusual issue.

Patient: 1970 2000 Roadster ... it's had at least two ham-fisted owners (and a quickie "restore" prior to me), but other than a (removed) alarm system, the wiring looks stock and intact, and in surprisingly good shape for a 40+ y/o car.

Symptoms:  With the headlight switch pulled out one stop (parking lights, normally) my headlights come *on*, and both high and low work.  But, when the headlight switch is pulled all the way on, my headlights go out completely, both high and low... but I can hear the relays clicking when I hit the hi/low switch.  Also:  No turn signals, at all, on any switch setting... but the brakes/hazards are fine.  Note:  This started seemingly at random... they were working fine one day, then they weren't; it's been a while now (been sitting in the garage waiting for its turn on the Round Tuit list), but I don't recall anything changing immediately before or after noticing the problem.

Steps so far:  Sanded and cleaned contacts in fuse box, and replaced all fuses with new (my roadster's glovebox appears to be press-riveted/crimped in several circuits, so I didn't want to risk breaking anything to get it apart for a vinegar soak -- cleaned with sandpaper and contact cleaner).  Cleaned contacts in all tail and headlight sockets, and replaced any old/questionable bulbs with new.  Headlight switch removed, disassembled, cleaned, brightened contacts, then reassembled.

No changes.

Urgency:  Low/none - fortunately, I'm not stranded anywhere, and if push came to shove, I could use it to a degree as-is... but I want to fix it, as I am uncomfortable with the idea that the circuit in the car with the highest currents are somehow magically completely wrong!

Is it just me, or is this weird?

Could the problem with the turn signals (again, the lights / brake lights work, just not the signals when switched on) cause my headlights to reverse what they should be doing?  I assume that's a case of replacing the flasher-relay bits, yeah?

Thoughts?

Everything -looks- normal... and I'm not the greatest with electrical... so it's frustrating.

Many thanks to all - even if you just read this then shook your head thinking, "idiot." : )

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Switch the emergency and the turn signal flasher units...if the turn signals start working then the flasher was bad. Try switching the emergency flashers on off on off a dozen times. In the on position the turn signal flasher is disconnected so that it does not conflict with the emergency flasher. When switched to OFF the signals are re connected again. If the contacts are dirty maybe they are nor connecting. The 720 has a problem of the switch traveling too far and going right past the OFF position contacts and the turn signals won't work. The fix is to move the switch just slightly towards the ON position.

Headlight switch may be worn out even though cleaned. Perhaps the pull part is traveling into the second position (headlights) while seeming to be on the first position

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Switch the emergency and the turn signal flasher units...   --snip much helpfulness--

Interesting.  I just tried switching the flashers, and there was no change -- Emerg work / signals don't.  So, at least I know my flashers are ok.

I'll try futzing (warning: technical term ; ) ) with the switch and see if that makes a difference.

At least it doesn't seem like one issue is related to the other?  I think that would make my head hurt.

Headlight switch may be worn out even though cleaned. Perhaps the pull part is traveling into the second position (headlights) while seeming to be on the first position

It sure seems to be working smoothly -- the stops are reasonably secure, and the contacts / spring / internal bits were solid.  But maybe that's it... sounds like I was right initially to be thinking that's a likely source of the problem?

I was surprised to see replacement switches >> $100... hoping to avoid that....

I couldn't help but think, as I was taking apart the chunky switch to clean the hunks of copper and check the spring, "you sure can't do something like this in a modern car!"

I do not have a roadster, but i am going to give you some generalities for almost all cars.

Headlights, and the parking lights are different circuits.  Usually the split occurs at the fuse box.  Fuses are on a common connector on the battery side, a buss bar, and you have a headlight fuse, and a park lamp fuse.  Two different circuits.  However, the two circuits usually go to one switch, that has two isolated parts.  One part, park lights, the other part, headlights.

I have a 521 truck that when I got it, park lamp position on the switch turned on the headlights.  The previous owner had jumped across the park, and headlight wires at the light switch.  It is also possible the wires connected somehow, without intervention of a previous owner, but this is not likely.

There is also a possibility you may have some issues with grounds.

However, the two circuits usually go to one switch, that has two isolated parts.  One part, park lights, the other part, headlights.

It is also possible the wires connected somehow, without intervention of a previous owner, but this is not likely.

There is also a possibility you may have some issues with grounds.

Because the switch is the point in common, I'm naturally suspicious of it... but I pulled it, and all the connections are correct and continuous from contact to pin.  Hrrm.  I guess it's time to start chasing down, cleaning, and reconnecting grounds....

I'm tempted just to rewire the entire thing but the "why is it doing this?" puzzle is going to bug me.

The turn signals, I would think, *have* to be a different issue, but I'm perplexed by the idea that they work correctly as flashers, tail lights, and brake lights... and the (very simple) mechanical switch is clean and operating (seemingly) correctly.

What bugs me the most is the "it just started doing it spontaneously" aspect... if I had been futzing around with wiring, or changed -anything-, I'd not be surprised by the weirdness.

Ah, well.  At least I can be "proud" that I have a weird, never-seen-it-before (apparently, given the lack of responses) issue!

Thanks for the help!