1967 410 1299cc in my 1965 L320 pick up?

rusty68mgb

Hi, did I do a good thing? I have a 1965 L320 pickup without a motor. I ran across a '67 410 4 door Datsun with a running 1299cc. My truck needs motor, trans, radiator, driveshaft and I'm hoping to make this my winter project in the fall. Cautions? Advice? Thanks guys, Rick. Skowhegan Maine.

I will be interested in passing along whatever is left rather than crushing the 410 once I'm finished taking off the parts I need. It has some rust but looks pretty straight and un-fooled around with otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to be there to know for sure, but that drive train(engine/transmission) might just bolt right into your 65 320 if your 65 was a floor shift model, and if you have your original engine mount hardware.

Definitely don't scrap anything that is in good/savable shape on that 410, them parts are not easy to find anymore.

Thanks Wayno. I was hoping to hear from you. The truck is a floor shift and other than the wheelbase being a little different, I think/hope it is a pretty straight forward swap. I might need to lengthen the driveshaft I think. I really see little difference under the hoods. I don't have anything except the rubber mounts left in the truck but the car is running and complete. The trouble with parts cars is that you end up saying "Oh, maybe I could keep that one and put an updated driveline in". Regards, Rick in Maine.

Well since he states that the truck doesn't have a motor, there's only one place the existing mounts could be attached to.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: That is a good point  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Do the 410/411s J block engines attach the same way as the 320 engines do to the truck frame with the mounts up near the front of the block?

I don't recall the 65 engine mounts being any different than the 64 or 63, but the tranny mounts are different.

It's been so long since I have had the 65 320 here, I don't recall the original engine mounts, but the J block 520/521 engine mounts were very similar to the E1 engine mounts.