No power from ignition to starter.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure it firmly in PARK or try NEUTRAL.

(if not)

Place in park with key ON. Use a lug wrench  to short across the starter bolt with the battery cable on it... to the small terminal with the Black/White stripe wire on it. Motor should crank over and start to get you home. Probably the above.

Today I just quite possibly figured out that my starting issue was nothing more than a bad connection, I have been having issues with starting my 720 diesel, I hit the key and nothing happens except clicking, then eventually it won't even click.

But when I use a big screwdriver to jump the starter between the main cable from the battery to the starter/start activator post on the starter solenoid, it starts right away, but today I did something different, I used a remote trigger to see what would happen, well what happened was a lot of smoke from the posts before the starter decided it wanted to work, that was when I realized, that even though the nuts were fairly tight holding the cables on the starter, they still were not making a good connection, so I tightened them even tighter, and now the key works properly again.

Power to the fuse box is either directly for the battery or switched through the ignition. Stuff like heater, radio, wipers are through the ignition. Interior lamp, brake and headlights, clock are not.

Then either the ignition switch is bad or the connection to the harness or the harness to the fuse box. You say you've swapped ign, switches and the fuses are good.....

NEVER trust a fuse by looks. Get a quarter and short across the two fuse clips to go around it. If the fan comes on the fuse is no good.