preparing a motor for 'storage'?

zed

With the price of gas here, sadly, I can't afford to use my Hardbody L18 pick-up on long trips any more - had to get a lighter, fuel injected vehicle (which has no character, unlike the Nissan). So now the Hardbody is standing for long periods - probably next use it in three months time. Apart from removing the battery, what else can I do to prepare for storage? Put some oil in the cylinders? Should I put the truck on axle stands? thanks for any advice

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go to your local napa store and grab a can of engine fogging oil follow the instructions on the can I have used it when I deploy and the car sits for long periods of time. I have never had any issues with restarting the car when I get back i have also drained the carb cause letting the gas evaporate against needle and seats and other gaskets is never good.

The is the procedure I use with my boat.  I will omit or change the steps that are boat specific.

1. Put fuel stabilizer in, I use the red Sta-Bil.   My boat has a sliding vane electric fuel pump.  One year, i did not do this, and had problems with the fuel pump the next spring. I believe the vanes in the fuel pump got stuck.  I do not think a diaphragm fuel pump is a susceptible to this issue.  Fill the tank, reduces air exchange with temperature changes, less condensation in the tank.

2.  Warm the engine up, change engine and transmission oil.  This gets fresh oil in both, so contaminated oil does sit in them, over the winter.  If you put less than about 10 hours on the engine, probably do not need to change the oil.  10 hours, 600 miles at freeway speeds.  300 miles if city driving.   Change the rear axle oil, and Brake fluid once a year, ideally.  Run the engine about 10 minuites after the oil, and oil filter change.   This circulates fresh oil in the engine and transmission.   After short drive, disconnect fuel line going the input side of the fuel pump, let the truck run out of gas in the carb, and  reconnect the fuel line after the engine is off.

3.  Spray in fogging oil.  I remove the spark plugs to do this, and turn the engine two complete revolutions, spray in a littl more fogging oil, and put the plugs back in.  If you have some old plugs, put these in, and the next time you start the engine, start it, and afterthe fogging oil is burnt off, put the good plugs back in.

4.  The next step on the boat is to drain the cooling system, my boat used lake water for cooling, no antifreeze.  If you have not done a coolant change in the last two years, do that.

5.  Loosen the alternator, and water pump belts.

6.  Tape the exhaust pipe closed.  I have a 2' pipe on one of my Datsuns.  One time, after starting in, it blew a bunch of eaten hazel nut shells on of the exhaust pipe.  Squirrels got in the pipe over the winter.

7.  Disconnect the negative battery cable.  My boat is fuel injected.  It has a small battery drain for the engine's computer, even when the engine is off.   The Datsun, has no battery drain.  If you put a modern radio in the truck, it may have a battery drain.

8.  Putting the car on block would be good.  Turning the wheels, and moving the steering every two weeks would be good.

Having said all that, I have also just parked a Datsun inside, and a year later, just started it.  I also have a 1974 Ford pickup that has sat for several (many) months between running.  If you do this, it helps to pour a little gas into the carb, to help get the engine started, to save grinding on the starter long enough to pump fuel into the carb.

The owners manual for my Ford Aerostar says to start and drive it every two weeks, for a short trip.  That is probably the easiest way to store a vehicle, and the best for the vehicle.

• Like 2

Only three months? Disconnect the battery and put the car under cover or cover with tarp. If through cold weather check the anti freeze/coolant. If your car was well maintained you don't really need to change any fluids. Recharge the battery every month.