vintage rubber in fullerton

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy (owner) is a friend of mine from the VW world. For the seals I can't get, I usually go see him. I've bought lots things from him, all top notch. The key, like any seal is good installation and upkeep.

The materials are also good. Unfortunately, his die makers are getting a lot older so he may stop new products or will have to find a new die maker.

I bought a trunk seal from them. It's ok. It's to rubbery and dense. The problem with everyone who makes aftermarket seals is the same issue. Factory seals are more like a soft spongey rubber. I'm not sure why no one can replicate that. The rubber I have (not vintage rubber) on my doors is too hard so it's a bitch everytime i shut it. The other is when the rubber is resilient like that you risk cracking the metal that the latch stews to.

I bought a trunk seal from them. It's ok. It's to rubbery and dense. The problem with everyone who makes aftermarket seals is the same issue. Factory seals are more like a soft spongey rubber. I'm not sure why no one can replicate that. The rubber I have (not vintage rubber) on my doors is too hard so it's a bitch everytime i shut it. The other is when the rubber is resilient like that you risk cracking the metal that the latch stews to.

The primary reason is because all OEM's rubber is manufactured under proprietary ingredient mixtures. Although all seals look like rubber, each have a different chemical composition based on necessity, car design, etc. We have a solar cell here at work that bombards the car with UV rays to simulate years and years of weather abuse in about 3 days. Aftermarket manufacturers are not privey to that ingredient list so they use a generic formula that provides the same near properties.

To soften up your after market seals, help to try to restore old seals and just help to maintain them, nothing beats Gummi-Pflege (BMW Part # 82 149 407 015) - which translates roughly to "rubber maintenance" - is BMW's solution for exactly that. ABout $7-12 depending.

Stolen from the webz:

"Protects and takes care of rubber items. Prevents e.g. door weatherstrips from freezing up in winter. Maintains tubing connectors pliable in engine compartment. Apply paste evenly and sparingly on clean, dried surfaces." As the description on the tube suggests, this stuff will work on most any rubber. Engine bay tubing and connector boots, door or window weather seals, etc.

Gummi-Pflege is not intended to be a "blackener" like Black Opal or Forever Black. Although applying Gummi-Pflege will restore some of the color, the other beneficial results of its use will last beyond the loss of the restored color. If the rubber still looks unsatisfactory after I am finished applying the Gummi-Pflege, I'll simply apply a little Black Opal for color.

You won't need to use much. This 75ml tube should last a long time even if you applied it to all the rubber in all your cars and throughout your house.