the 33 years in a garage build

RTB

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Update: So the 219 head ended up being just too much work and money for a minimal gain. I was about to stick with just my NAPS-Z pistons with 6 inch rods but Kirden may have found an excellent solution to use relatively cheap forged pistons that dont need to be cut with 6 inch rods and a z22 crank. I will probably do a heavy write up on this build as it will be the first of its kind in terms of pistons. Probably will sell the panasports to buy some Work CR01s in the future. Lots of stuff going on right now. Found some imperfections in the paint so have to show the painter and get that fixed and should be getting powder coated suspension parts back this week.

This guy, stealin ideas and :poop: ...

LOL! just kidding man. I still have a long way to go on the top end before my build is "complete." Still need my carburetor setup, blower, cam, valves/springs/retainers/guides, and machining the head. Race to the finish? :P

This guy, stealin ideas and :poop: ...

LOL! just kidding man. I still have a long way to go on the top end before my build is "complete." Still need my carburetor setup, blower, cam, valves/springs/retainers/guides, and machining the head. Race to the finish? :P

You and I will cover completely different ends of the spectrum. I will have the NA high (for street) compression and you will cover the turbo part. And hopefully both types will be successful. I just ordered the pistons and crank today.

Update 2: Got the pistons in, look beautiful. Will post pictures later. Dropped off the block to be magnafluxed, hot tanked, bored, new freeze plugs, etc. along with the rods to have them reconditioned, peened, and larger bolts. Looking at about 300 for all of that so pretty good. Sent carbs away to be rebuilt. Hopefully sell the wheels soon and will get some money for Tom Neely's brand new z22 crank and legit datsun comp intake.

• 4 weeks later...

A wire brush is all I can suggest.  I'm surprised the machine shop didn't coat it with WD40 after they removed it from the tank...

Are you going to surface that block deck any more?  Maybe it's just the pictures, but the deck surface doesn't look like it got done well.  Especially between cylinders 2 and 3.....