Fuel Return Line or entrance point?

oldskoolvws

Looking at changing my fuel delivery setup. I think I want to go with a return line for better pressure control from the FPR. I have a 1970 so if your not familiar, they did not come with the evap. hump in the bed. It's vented through the gas cap. Question is, what is the port below that is not identified with a part number directly to the left of the removable port (12, 13, 14)?

Anyone running a return line or know of the best spot to return into? Or should I just leave it alone....these are for 44 Mikuni's on a L20.

screenshot20130505at112.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wayno. That line was bending to the left and I thought it might have gone to something else.

Originally I was thinking along the same lines of tapping into line #8. I'm not certain though. Because I have the non-evap truck, my cap is vented to atmosphere. I'm afraid the return fuel pressure will overcome atmosphere and blow into the tank and out the cap. Maybe a lift check?

Thanks Wayno. That line was bending to the left and I thought it might have gone to something else.

Originally I was thinking along the same lines of tapping into line #8. I'm not certain though. Because I have the non-evap truck, my cap is vented to atmosphere. I'm afraid the return fuel pressure will overcome atmosphere and blow into the tank and out the cap. Maybe a lift check?

That #8 line just goes to the main filler tube(#4) from the fuel sender assembly, even if it did try going up hill which I doubt it can, it would just go back down the fuel fill tube anyway.

What really counts is that you do not buy a non-vented cap, that will cause problems.

I would just put a "Tee" in part number #8, as close to the tank as possible, #8 is actually just a breather tube for when your filling the tank at the gas station.

I suppose it might be a good idea to take the sender out and look where the vent tube is pointed, if it dumps the returning fuel right onto the sender guts, I suppose that could cause issues down the road.

Thats the line i am running my return line to from my FPR,i disconnected the evap setup.

Illegal operator :ninja:  Did you run aluminum metal tubing or hose all the way? I think I'll run Earl's 25's metal tubing in black and you have the newer tank yeah?

That #8 line just goes to the main filler tube(#4) from the fuel sender assembly, even if it did try going up hill which I doubt it can, it would just go back down the fuel fill tube anyway.

What really counts is that you do not buy a non-vented cap, that will cause problems.

I would just put a "Tee" in part number #8, as close to the tank as possible, #8 is actually just a breather tube for when your filling the tank at the gas station.

I suppose it might be a good idea to take the sender out and look where the vent tube is pointed, if it dumps the returning fuel right onto the sender guts, I suppose that could cause issues down the road.

Thanks, I guess that makes it easy then. Maybe I'll just do that. I guess that running that line directly over the sender would be bad.

That sender unit is submerged in gas when the tank is full, so I have no idea if there will be any issues at all.

Fuel senders baffle me, I just cannot wrap my mind around how something like that can work being soaked with fuel all the time.

Yeah, I never touched the fuel side of manufacturing in my career....yet. But the principal is easy, essentially a slide contact that changes the resistance rate of a known voltage. But those things just keep going....