Rear struts blown. Will new struts raise my car?

A few months ago I bought a coilover kit from ratsun member Pacman.

http://community.ratsun.net/user/11724-pacman/

I finally got around to installing it this weekend and all I installed was the spring and this is what it did to my car. This is a pic of the spring with a blown 510 strut.

IMG_20130501_174307.jpg

I then took off the OEM rear strut & installed tried to install the strut with the adapter that he sent me & it was sooo short that it tucked my rear caliper, so there was no way that I was going to be able to mount my tires. When I was uninstalling the stock strut, I noticed it was so blown that I was able to fully compress it by hand and it stayed compressed. If I buy 69 Camaro rear struts with the Pacman springs, will it lift my car?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Springs are what support the weight of the car. The strut insert merely provide resistance or damping so that the car does not continue to bounce lake a rubber ball after hitting a bump. Some inserts are gas charged with nitrogen and are fully extended as rest. These will provide several pounds of upward lift but not nearly enough to lift a car and this isn't their purpose anyway.

To lift the car you can use a stiffer spring rate but this may be stiffer than you want, or simply add spacers under or above the spring you have. In effect they are like shims. See bottom of the middle column below..

DQDodgeD50frontspringsLarge.png

• 1 month later...