510 Carburator Switch out

tgrizzle

Hi all...

I have a 1971 model with a stock Hitachi carb (L16 engine). It leaks air at the base, it gives off gas smells that end up in the passenger area, and it is just cheap crap, basically.  I am a newbie here, and while I don't know too much about Datsuns, I'm learning.  I wanted to tap into the expertise.  I use my 510 for everyday driving, so I want something reliable, long lasting, bullet proof, relative simple to install.  I think I will need an adaptor and some brand new carb.  My question is, what brand would you all recommend??

Price is not a huge concern if it is going to do the job for me.  

Thanks!  

Griz 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Griz,

Just about the standard answer here is a Weber 32/36, like the DGEV shown here on the first line:

http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/auto/nissan/

I don't really know the best place to buy one. There are Weber kits on eBay and Amazon, but someone will no doubt post the best source. The kit includes an adapter which bolts to the stock intake manifold, then the Weber bolts to the adapter. There are some cheaply made adapters out there which can crack. Getting a kit with the best adapter is worthwhile. Again, someone else may know a kit source with a good adapter.

The stock Hitachi isn't a bad carb, unless it is all gummed up with old gas. Replacing the base gasket is relatively easy if that is the only problem. But going to a Weber isn't a bad idea if you don't mind spending the money. I just finished rebuilding a stock carb and I'm ready to reinstall it on my 510, cause I'm cheap and stubborn (I don't want the Hitachi to beat me). But it remains to be seen if it works any better than before I took it off the car.

Len

Best all round is the Hitachi hands down. Besides good economy and performance it has what I call drive-ability. This is where you can mash the throttle anytime and it just goes, good easy starts when cold and restarts when hot. It is however a compromise between power/economy/emissions so if you don't mind giving up two to gain slightly on the other you can get a direct replacement 32/36 Weber from Redline. Just under $200. Don't buy some piece of shit 32/36 online that was new when the Vega came out, has had 8 different owners who rebuilt it 4 times and left a part out each time. In other words don't buy someone else's problems... get a new one.