new member, new Maxima/910 owner!

i dont think the cap is the problem because when it gets hot and i shut the car off and it heat soaks, the pressure then goes up and you can hear it boil out into the overflow tank. that should mean its working right? this happens a few seconds after turning it off not immediately

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan from Desert Datsuns here......As someone mentioned, even newer thermostats can go bad. They're cheap enough to try.

What you should do, is pull the T-stat anyways, and see if the whole inside of the engine isn't filled with that white foamy crumbly crap from using water only for years. I see a TON of cars at the junk yards like that.

If the corrosion is bad enough, the water pump could be eaten away in the inside. I've even seen one impeller come off the shaft, so the belt and pulley would turn, but no water was flowing.

It's summer in AZ, so it's going to run hot. Even when everything is working correctly, these old cars can run warm. So one little thing can be enough to run the temp up. I wouldn't be surprised if the radiator was clogged. Running hot at speed likely means that either air isn't getting through the radiator, or fluid isn't moving through the radiator.

In addition, never run without a thermostat, regardless of what anyone tells you. It's a very old school train of thought. They're there for a reason.

As for the pedals, most Datsuns/Nissans have the same pedal box up under the dash, and it's merely a matter or getting the pedals. If Ztrain says a brake bedal can work, I'd try that first. Might take some bending, cutting, and welding, but give that a shot. Removing the entire pedal assembly from any of these cars is a bitch.

hey, thanks yellowdatsun, I'm enjoying both forums!!.

thats kinda what i thought about the no thermostat thing.

I noticed that the clutch master cylinder hole has the mount holes and everything and there is a block off plater bolted on, removing this should allow me to put the master cylinder in at least, and then i will see about the pedals, its a little ways down the road though, I need to get a clutch and flywheel for it still and i am considering rebuilding the t5 with new synchros, plus i need a custom driveshaft made with a custom tranny mount for it.

What i meant when i said the existing brake pedal can be made to work,is that you do a little cutting on the pedal and you leave it in place.The return spring hole and the pedal height adjuster and the rubber piece that hits the frame aren't even close to being in the same place as the Z car brake pedal.

A Z clutch CAN be made to work with the proper bolt and spacers.I had to source the bolt from a aerospace hardware shop.

The throw-out bearing collar HAS TO MATCH THE Pressure plate.You can use a clutch from a 620 but you MUST have the matching collar.

What i meant when i said the existing brake pedal can be made to work,is that you do a little cutting on the pedal and you leave it in place.The return spring hole and the pedal height adjuster and the rubber piece that hits the frame aren't even close to being in the same place as the Z car brake pedal.

A Z clutch CAN be made to work with the proper bolt and spacers.I had to source the bolt from a aerospace hardware shop.

The throw-out bearing collar HAS TO MATCH THE Pressure plate.You can use a clutch from a 620 but you MUST have the matching collar.

so are you saying that you can use any clutch/flywheel combination with the borg warner t5 as long as they go together and you use the throw out bearing that goes with it?

Nissan flywheels interchange a lot.I know L-20b and the standard L-24/26/28 will swap.I have no experience with the T-5,but if the Flywheel is the same,then yes.THe flywheel isn't really an issue.Matchinmg up the Throw-out bearing collar is.

Here are my pedals.Note the strange alignment:

DSC02154_zps0c1862fd.jpg

What i did was take the factory brake pedal and trace the stick pedal portion on the auto brake pad and then cut it down using this pad from a Z pedal as a guide:

DSC02155_zps036699a9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

is the maxima 5 speed the same as the other datsun 5 speeds? is there anything special about the tranny that goes to the maxima? cause I found a good driveshaft but the tranny they want alot of money for, I found cheaper 5 speeds out of z's and a few other datsuns and I got the clutch pedal out of a maxima, so will the tranny from liek a 280z or zx fit in there? are the same length as a maxima 5 speed tranny?