This is the thread where we list the spring rates we run on 510's

ifixvws

Hey all,

I'm in the process of putting together the suspension for my 510 and would like to know what you all run for actual spring rates.

If you are running coilover sleeves and coils please list what weight you have and how they ride.

In my previous car(a vw Rabbit) I ran something like 325lbs in the front and 250-275 in the rear. It was awesome. 

Im just not sure what to run on the 510. That's why I have turned to you guys.

Number of doors?

Motor and trans?

Front spring rate

Front spring length

type of shock insert

Rear spring rate

Rear spring length

Brand of rear shock

How does it ride?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock 510 fronts

Diameter................... 5.12"

Number of coils..........8

Wire diameter........... 0.472"

Free length............. 13.956" RH drive only

Spring rate.............. 90 lbs/inch approx.

Stock sedan 510 rears

Diameter................... 3.543"

Number of coils..........?

Wire diameter........... 0.56"

Free length.............. 11.8" RH drive only

Spring rate.............. 400 lbs/inch approx.

I don't have an accurate 'number of coils' on the rear spring of the 510 so I couldn't work out the rate but it should be close to the fronts... so near 400.

You have to take into account, however, that they're two different types of springs. The rears require being heavier, because of the leverage of the LCA's. If you go to rear coilovers, the number is COMPLETELY different than a stock-location spring. I'll try to find the formula.. something like 3.8-4.0:1 for rear springs to front springs.

This should get you started..

http://www.datsuns.com/510/510_faq-1.htm

Number of doors?

Motor and trans?

KA24DE

Front spring rate

275 (coilovers) 

Front spring length

8"

type of shock insert

KYB AGX - SW20 MR2 (can't remember if rear or front...)

Rear spring rate

Rear spring length

~8-9"

Brand of rear shock

KYB GR2 - Camaro Rears.  Can't remember which year.  I'm thinking F Body gen, but not positive.

How does it ride?

Good.  Firm, stiff, but not overly done.  Bumps don't throw the car around like expected, the car just rolls over them.  My pops has back problems and has no problem riding in or driving this car.  Running 205-50-15 Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, 300 Treadwear Rating with a 3.70 Subaru LSD.  No need to go any stiffer up front unless I switch to slicks... then I'd need to change quite a few things.  Rear spring rate is still being dialed in as well... right now there is a little too much understeer for me.  Not going to mess with anything until I get it on a track and can drive at the limits safely.

....with a 3.70 Subaru LSD.  No need to go any stiffer up front unless I switch to slicks... then I'd need to change quite a few things.  Rear spring rate is still being dialed in as well... right now there is a little too much understeer for me. 

LSD doesn't help the understeer either.

Front spring rate is 275 but rears are only 263. You can reduce understeer by lowering the front spring rate or increasing the rears. You seem happy with it now so maybe try reducing the fronts. Borrow some 250 springs and try it.

Adding or stiffening a rear sway bar will also reduce understeer.t

That's why I mentioned the LSD.  If I went to an open diff right now and changed nothing else, that would have a huge effect on how the car handles.   :D

I have been playing with rear spring rates in Autocross and up in the mountains.  The next step up is 1100 lb springs, roughly 290 lbs wheelrate.  Those springs pretty much gave me snap oversteer all over the place, it was extremely unsafe to drive.  I'm trying to avoid running a rear bar for now, because I'm trying to keep the rear as stiff as possible to prevent alignment changes while driving.  But I've been thinking about getting a rear bar and running it as soft as possible with the current springs.  That just might put the car's balance where I want it.

A while ago I went from 225 lb to 275 lbs up front and actually gained quite a bit more grip.  I'm real happy with how the front feels, just a matter of getting the rear dialed in. I still need to get a set of KYB AGXs for the rear (4 way adjustable).  

I also run a 1" solid front sway bar.  Forgot to post that earlier  :P

One thing I noticed is we can't really compare suspension setups between L series and KA 510s... they have to be setup in different ways.  KAs are heavier and just have more torque/power.

Number of doors?

Motor and trans?

KA24DE

Front spring rate

275 (coilovers) 

Front spring length

8"

type of shock insert

KYB AGX - SW20 MR2 (can't remember if rear or front...)

Rear spring rate

Rear spring length

~8-9"

Brand of rear shock

KYB GR2 - Camaro Rears.  Can't remember which year.  I'm thinking F Body gen, but not positive.

How does it ride?

Good.  Firm, stiff, but not overly done.  Bumps don't throw the car around like expected, the car just rolls over them.  My pops has back problems and has no problem riding in or driving this car.  Running 205-50-15 Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, 300 Treadwear Rating with a 3.70 Subaru LSD.  No need to go any stiffer up front unless I switch to slicks... then I'd need to change quite a few things.  Rear spring rate is still being dialed in as well... right now there is a little too much understeer for me.  Not going to mess with anything until I get it on a track and can drive at the limits safely.

Perfect. Just what Im looking for.

I have been wondering about what I want for the street in my Datsun. I have 275lb spring for the front and was thinking about what to do with the rear spring. I grabbed a 7inch spring but it looks a little short. I think I either have to make a adapter like the one used by techno toy or use a much longer spring (8-9inches).