KA24e running rich....

wildmaninid

I am having some mixture issues with my truck.  1977 620 with a 1990 240sx ka24e engine.  I do have the EGR removed from the intake (I hope that won't matter).  I have noticed an increase in fuel consumption lately, and that the exhaust smells very thick and rich, especially at a warm idle (weird, you would think as it was warming up that would be the case more so than when warm) and when I pull up to a stoplight you can really smell it, sort of makes your eyes water.

The engine was rebuilt when before I installed it 7,000 miles ago (3400 of those were a cross country drive).  The truck has brand new cap, rotor, NGK plugs and NGK wires. So far I have replaced the obvious: Air Intake Temperature sensor, Coolant temperature sensor and I installed a new Denso Oxygen sensor, yet I am still having this issue.  I wonder if the MAF sensor would have anything to do with it?  I don't have my service manual for the engine, or I would be right on top of checking voltages and whatnot.

The truck runs strong, Idles good (although sometimes when coming back down to idle from driving the idle "hunts around" up and down about 3-4 times before it idles).  I was getting 27-30 on the hiway when I first installed it back in 2011, but now am lucky to get 20.  Anyone have any ideas/experience etc?

Thanks a million.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has throw a code. code 55 means all is good in mode 3. Mode 1 will test the O2 signal, mode 2 will test the fuel mixture ratio. You could have  a TPS outta whack etc just go through the motions testing the sensors adjusting what needs adjusted make sure your IACV and your aux air regulator are working properly. 

So I went through the engine off stored code diagnostic (mode 3) and got codes 13 and 14.  14 is irrelevant (speed sensor signal) with the swap, but 13 is for coolant temp sensor.  I replaced that yesterday morning.  I went ahead and deleted the codes and will then go through the engine running diagnostic to see whats going on.  If I still get the code 13, I will need to check the harness, maybe I missed a wire during the swap, but I don't think so since this running rich is a new development.......

So I drove the truck yesterday evening and after work today I re checked the codes. Code 14 was still there and code 13 was gone. I warmed the truck up and got it into closed loop and ran test 2 which is mixture monitoring. Computer indicated mixture was within spec. Rigged up a mirror system and put it in mode 5 (real time monitor) and drove around. No codes were showing. Truck exhaust still smells a little rich but not nearly as bad as it was. Going to fill up and check mileage this weekend. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1