Production date question on '69 510

I'm trying to figure out my production date so I can order a brake master cylinder. However, the plate on the driver's door jamb is missing. Is there any way to determine it by the car's serial number? Is the production date anywhere else on the car?

PL510-075019 is the serial number on the shock tower.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brake master #46101-23101 was used on all 510s through October '69. This would be the '68 and '69 model years.

Care should be taken with supposed production years on ownerships. Back in the day it was common to put the year as being the year it was purchased. A '71 model year would run from late summer '70, till late summer '71. It's possible it might not sell at all in '71 and be bought new years of '72.

You say you have a '69 which is similar to the '68.

The '68 has a license plate light mounted in the rear bumper and the wiper arms swing from the outside and fold over each other in the middle of the glass. The ignition switch is in the dash on the left side and the dash top has a 6" wide dip in it. Heater controls are horizontal.

The '69 has license plate lights on the body, wipers that turn together in the same direction, ignition on the right steering column, flat dash and vertical heater controls.

Both '68 and '69 have a similar bar speedometer that reads left to right and long narrow 'arrow' style front fender marker lights

The '70 has a round speedometer, rectangular front fender marker lights, radio antenna moved to the passenger A pillar, first year for the Datsun grill badge with red white blue racing stripes across it..

You mentioned the VIN on the shock tower, does this match the VIN on the fire wall next to the hood prop?  I ask because the VIN on the shock tower is screwed on, and the VIN on the firewall is stamped in the metal.  I had a car that they did not match on.  There should also be a VIN on the dash.  That was just a question of curiosity. 

Like everyone else said, it sounds like you are correct in that your car is a '69, but I believe your question was about the actual production date.  I wish I could help you on that.  I ordered my master cylinder from O'Reilly's (it cost just over $20).  It was a brand new unit, but it looked just like my Tokico.  I would suggest just going to the parts store, order both, and see which one matches the one you have.  That being said, there was a Tokico and a Nabco that was put on 510's, from the ones I've seen there really wasn't any difference.

#46101-23101 was used on all 510s through October '69. This would be the '68 and '69 model years.

Care should be taken with supposed production years on ownerships. Back in the day it was common to put the year as being the year it was purchased. A '71 model year would run from late summer '70, till late summer '71. It's possible it might not sell at all in '71 and be bought new years of '72.

You say you have a '69 which is similar to the '68.

The '68 has a license plate light mounted in the rear bumper and the wiper arms swing from the outside and fold over each other in the middle of the glass. The ignition switch is in the dash on the left side and the dash top has a 6" wide dip in it. Heater controls are horizontal.

The '69 has license plate lights on the body, wipers that turn together in the same direction, ignition on the right steering column, flat dash and vertical heater controls.

Both '68 and '69 have a similar bar speedometer that reads left to right and long narrow 'arrow' style front fender marker lights

The '70 has a round speedometer, rectangular front fender marker lights, radio antenna moved to the passenger A pillar, first year for the Datsun grill badge with red white blue racing stripes across it..

....."#46101-23101 was used on all 510s through October '69"...

Mine is...49669...registered as a 69

Can see where the antenna was mounted .

Round speedo/cluster.

P4040004_zps3c1831a1.jpg

Hmmmmm...must be the late 69/early 70 Canadian model...............?...eh?...... :)