Door Glass from a king cab on a 720

KoolMan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It should fit. There was clear and tint and some are made in the states so there are some different numbers but they seem to fit all models. Wayno I can't find any difference with electric windows. The glass looks the same... maybe just the channel that holds it is different. Just like power steering wheels are the same as standard wheels?

A couple of days ago I took the doors from a wrecking yard '85 KC and bolted them onto our '86 standard cab.  To me, that seems like a pretty clear indication that the glass will be the same too. 

If I can hijack this thread just a little bit, how do you get the glass all the way out?  After hanging the wrecking yard door I started disassembling one of the original doors.  Removed the inner panel and unbolted the glass from the metal rack along the bottom edge.  I think that's called the receiver?  But I couldn't wiggle the glass out.  It looked like I'd have to remove the rubber squeegee from the exterior side of the door frame.  I could see some little clips hiding inside the door, back an inch or so from the slot, but couldn't figure out which way to apply force to remove them without breaking them.  Or the glass, if I started prying and the tool slipped.  

Turn it sideways.  Why didn't I think of that?  I've gotta go try that right now. 

I figured out one way to get the exterior side squeegee off.  I started at the forward edge, gently prying upward with a wide flat screwdriver from the exterior and interior sides of the door.  I started getting some gap between the exterior skin and the rubber squeegee.  Casting about for something that was softer than the metal, I spotted a little piece of wedge-shaped cedar laying on the floor.  I'd created these wedges when cutting sharp points for stakes.  Starting at the leading edge, I tapped the cedar wedge along the top edge of the door frame.  The clips slowly released, and the squeegee came off.  The cedar wedge didn't cause any damage that I could see to the door or paint. 

EDIT:  Turning the glass sideways worked brilliantly.  With the glass finally out of the way, I can see rust all along the bottom edge, where the interior and exterior skins are welded together.  I'll wire brush, then coat the area with some bedliner or frame paint.  Being careful not to plug off the weep holes of course.