6 into 1 or 6 into 2?

EricJB

Which header do you guys prefer and why?

The plan is

L28 shortblock, ballanced rotating assy / 72 E88 mild port with 44mm intake and 37.5 exhaust / Isky 490/290 cam and apropriate hardware / Triple 40DCOE's.

Any ideas for complete exhaust appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

according to this book
tumblr_mkt8bmj5zh1qe7x6po1_400.jpg

street exhaust

mild street: for any stock or slightly modified engine, the original equipment exh mani is suitable. but to improve performance, the exh pipe & muffler should be replaced...
a 2.5" pipe works best w a 6 cyl engine.

the most popular performance muffler is the reverse flow corvair type thats available from most perf. exh sys manufactuers... commonly called turbo mufflers... this muffler type

is free flowing, relatively compact & reasonably light. for 6 cyls, muffler inlet & outlet size should be increased to 2.5" the pipe should not neck down inside the muffler.

wild street if youve modified your street eng,  a good exh header will enhance eng perf.
a radical street perf. eng should have characteristics similar to those of an off road racing eng. more attention should be paid to obtaining bottom end low rpm tq & a wide power

band than obtaining max HP, which can only be gained at high rpm. this this in mind, most street perf engs should have 1.5 or 1 5/8" dia primary pipes 34-36" long.

which dia you should use depends on your engs power band, max rpm & displacement.
as an example... 2800cc with many high perf mods may need 1 5/8 primary pipes w a 2.5" collector & exh pipe for max perf.

sixes should use two collectors. number 1,2, and 3 primaries go into one collector and 4, 5, and 6 primaries go

into another. the two collectors are then connected by the y-pipe"

Thanks, I have that book somewhere, cant find it. Wondering if anyone has a similar set up and what they run. 

MSA header looks like crap.

Arizona Z car has shit collector but people seem to like them.

Stahl is really nice but $910.00

Clifford stopped making them. I think Holley bowed out as well.

Seems to me that a 6 to 2 to 1 (tri Y)would be the best way to go. Dont know.  

I cringe at the thought of making one. The one I made for my 521 was Hell. 

IMG_2168_zps897f1fbe.jpg

I got a msa ceramic 6-1. Love it and love the sound.

Installed it in my garage but one thing is the msa 6-1 doesn't have too much ground clearence.

the 6-2 cuts off earlier so you can just fab something up that will clear.

I had to raise my car because i couldn't get up my driveway.

but the 6-1 was definetly hassle free to install and the ceramic's held up pretty well so far.

No idea how it's going to sound but I have a 240 that's being painted atm. Once it goes back together it will have a 6-2 MSA header running a dual exhaust w/ X over all the way to the rear. Hopefully I'll have a few more pieces to go on it as well, but for now that is all I have.

So of the cheaper headers available ( most of the $$$ really well designed ones seem to be NLA) It appears the Arizona header and Pacesetter are the only 2 that even make an attempt to build a tuned header. All others look like #1 cylinder is 6" longer that #3.

The Arizona is 6 to1, and Pacesetter 6 to 2. I have ran Pacesetter before and not been impressed. But the collecters look way better than the Arizona.

Pacesetter

pac701037.jpg

Arizona

header1.jpg

I hate to say it, but i'm leaning towards Pacesetter.