• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is a good deal on tires!

You have a sway bar in the front?

Dont quote me on this

lol

but I think on the 720s they replaced the sway bar with a stabilizer bar...Why watcha thinkin?

Took one of the new tires and dropped it next to the ones that were on the truck...

10553_586072021424343_1206319230_n.jpg

1000549_586072208090991_854596231_n.jpg

:no:

The old ones were obviously way too big...But ya gotta go with what ya got sometimes...

So now the new tires  :D

983585_586075434757335_721100861_n.jpg

5887_586072024757676_1256352714_n.jpg

MUCH better  :thumbup:

No more rubbing on bumps

MPG went up about 8-10

Takes off a lot quicker and easier

Now Ill be able to lower it a little bit, 2 maybe 3 inches. Not slammed, just a lil lower is all.

But one thing is for sure

I have spent all my "Datsun Dollars" for the summer...plus some

and ski/snowboard season is still 5 months away  :rofl:

During the winter months, I work at White Pass Sports Hut here in Packwood. We mostly do ski and snowboard rentals but we also do repairs, waxing tune ups and all that good stuff too.

So when schools get out for winter/christmas break, it gets really busy in our store. So busy, I end up working 12-14 hr days for about 3, almost 4 weeks.

Unfortunately Im paid salary but I get lots of bonus $ which was usually a hundo at the end of the day so i would take all that and save it up for summer datsun shit. 

But its looking like Im gonna have to go find atleast a part time job over the summer.

I am not sure what your 1980 has, but mine has the mounts for a sway bar, they are tucked farther back in there, but they are there, I have even seen them connected to the frame behind the LCAs on a diesel 720 once in a wrecking yard also.

Look behind the oilpan rock guard if you have one.

My truck doesn't have a sway bar anymore, I guess I don't drive it fast enough around corners and such to need one.

This is my 720, can you figure out the main things not right/correct with this truck?

DSCN1481_zpsdd26a66e.jpg

DSCN1484_zpsab733270.jpg

Well...lets see, really the only thing I notice that isnt right, is the round headlights.

But the long bed is cool, dont see many of those.

Looks like you have the better front bumper that doesnt stick out as far?

Looks like Chevy Luv wheel tubs on the sides of that bed?

Antenna is on the drivers side, isnt it usually on the passengers side?

Power cord hangin out the front, block heater or is that one of your trucks with a diesel motor?

Other than that, I cant really notice anything.

So today, I think Ill take the wheels off and get in there and wire brush and paint the wheel wells now that you can see up in there a lot better.

And get rid of the nasty ol log nuts!

Well...lets see, really the only thing I notice that isnt right, is the round headlights.

But the long bed is cool, dont see many of those.

Looks like you have the better front bumper that doesnt stick out as far?

Looks like Chevy Luv wheel tubs on the sides of that bed?

Antenna is on the drivers side, isnt it usually on the passengers side?

Power cord hangin out the front, block heater or is that one of your trucks with a diesel motor?

Other than that, I cant really notice anything.

So today, I think Ill take the wheels off and get in there and wire brush and paint the wheel wells now that you can see up in there a lot better.

And get rid of the nasty ol log nuts!

You did notice more than I thought you would, you noticed half of what most miss, it has a longbed and is a kingcab.  :hmm:

The bumper is one I don't see very often, in my opinion it looks better than what most 720s have, but not all agree.

The dually fenders came from a toyota truck, I had to modify them for fitment, but worth it in the end.

The antenna I am unsure of, I have seen them on both sides and in the fenders, this is a 1980 cab, but I might have mounted this one myself, it is my favorite antenna, I put it on everything I own, I like pillar antennas, it goes with the lines better on most vehicles.

Yes, it does have a diesel engine, but they had them from 81-87+, so that isn't that special, and not something I would expect you to notice in the photo supplied, as for the headlights, that is something that I bought last year from Saudia Arabia, they had them there for 1 year(1980), but what I planned/wanted to do was have one of the plastic grills I bought chromed, as I have chrome marker lights also, but it just doesn't seem to be coming together.  :crying:

I see you have the flowmaster and 2 1/4" piping for the exhaust.. And it's quiet (which I have a strong desire for after almost two years of vroom in daily 720).

Is that all..? No cat, or resonator..?

I see you have the flowmaster and 2 1/4" piping for the exhaust.. And it's quiet (which I have a strong desire for after almost two years of vroom in daily 720).

Is that all..? No cat, or resonator..?

Yep, Its quiet. I was surprised too. I do have it run out the side behind the rear tire to keep in cab noise down, so there is quite a bit of pipe. Its in there the same way the stock one was, even right under the heat shield under the bed.

You did notice more than I thought you would, you noticed half of what most miss, it has a longbed and is a kingcab.  :hmm:

The bumper is one I don't see very often, in my opinion it looks better than what most 720s have, but not all agree.

The dually fenders came from a toyota truck, I had to modify them for fitment, but worth it in the end.

The antenna I am unsure of, I have seen them on both sides and in the fenders, this is a 1980 cab, but I might have mounted this one myself, it is my favorite antenna, I put it on everything I own, I like pillar antennas, it goes with the lines better on most vehicles.

Yes, it does have a diesel engine, but they had them from 81-87+, so that isn't that special, and not something I would expect you to notice in the photo supplied, as for the headlights, that is something that I bought last year from Saudia Arabia, they had them there for 1 year(1980), but what I planned/wanted to do was have one of the plastic grills I bought chromed, as I have chrome marker lights also, but it just doesn't seem to be coming together.  :crying:

I keep forgetting to grab a can of Bondo so I can take the antennae off since I dont use it at all.

I like the round headlights on the 720s, its nice to see something different. But then again if more people had them, I prolly wouldnt like them as much.

And to have that grill chromed would be sweet. And then to get some of the steel end caps for the front bumper would really set it off.

O and I DID notice that it was King Cab AND Long Bed which is not original  ;)  and makes for one loooong truck :rofl:

And how much was that round headlight grill? Just curious...

Yep, Its quiet. I was surprised too. I do have it run out the side behind the rear tire to keep in cab noise down, so there is quite a bit of pipe. Its in there the same way the stock one was, even right under the heat shield under the bed.

I keep forgetting to grab a can of Bondo so I can take the antennae off since I dont use it at all.

I like the round headlights on the 720s, its nice to see something different. But then again if more people had them, I prolly wouldnt like them as much.

And to have that grill chromed would be sweet. And then to get some of the steel end caps for the front bumper would really set it off.

O and I DID notice that it was King Cab AND Long Bed which is not original  ;)  and makes for one loooong truck :rofl:

And how much was that round headlight grill? Just curious...

I bought 3 of them, one OEM gray/black one(in the photo), one OEM black one, which turned out to be damaged and not chrome plateable, and a 3rd aftermarket one, that I am looking for someone semi local now to have it plated instead of sending another one to southern CA.

I paid a lot for the 3 grills and one set of headlight buckets, as it turns out that these headlights are a certain amount of MMs apart, which seems to be in the middle of all the bucket assemblies sent to the USA, the 521s are to close together, and the 620s are to far apart, I didn't measure any of the cars, I just spent the money and bought OEM buckets as I knew they would fit.

The dude shipped it DHL also, it took about a week to get here, expensive.

I am not going to say how much I paid, but it wasn't cheap(ratsun deal), nor was it ridiculously high either, it was what I expected it would be considering.

I do actually wish I could find chrome end caps for the bumper, but I have never seen any metal end caps for the 1980 threw 1982 trucks, they all are plastic, 1983 is the first year of all metal 720 bumpers as far as I know, and they are not compatible with the early bumpers.

Nice, I'm planning on doing some changes to my exhaust to quiet it down, and thought maybe I'd have to do throw a resonator or a cat back on, or even get a smaller pipe than I have now (also 2 1/4").. But I may be doing something more like this instead..

Nice, I'm planning on doing some changes to my exhaust to quiet it down, and thought maybe I'd have to do throw a resonator or a cat back on, or even get a smaller pipe than I have now (also 2 1/4").. But I may be doing something more like this instead..

Living in California, I figured the cat would HAVE to be on there. How are ya gettin away with that one?    :lol:

It sounds good though, Im happy with the way mine turned out. Im sure the exhaust will get broken in a bit and prolly get a lil louder but we'll see.

Living in California, I figured the cat would HAVE to be on there. How are ya gettin away with that one?    :lol:

It sounds good though, Im happy with the way mine turned out. Im sure the exhaust will get broken in a bit and prolly get a lil louder but we'll see.

Wait, what...? I have a cat  :angel:

Well, even after that, I'm sure it would still be quieter than mine... It really sucks when I have a lady friend in the passenger seat and we're trying to talk.. And on the 3-4 hour trips picking up parts  :geek:

When I bought my 82 720 it had a 13" Cherrybomb muffler installed just before the axle. Then the tail pipe exits the left side of the bed. This setup was freaking out the dog, so I tacked a 15" resonator into the exhaust system after the stock cat. Sounds pretty much stock and with the blown cherrybomb it seems to flow pretty well. You hear more intake noise than exhaust as you accelerate. I'd like to modify my stock aircleaner assy to the Weber to quiet things down. Maybe sometime this summer I will get around to this little project.

When I bought my 82 720 it had a 13" Cherrybomb muffler installed just before the axle. Then the tail pipe exits the left side of the bed. This setup was freaking out the dog, so I tacked a 15" resonator into the exhaust system after the stock cat. Sounds pretty much stock and with the blown cherrybomb it seems to flow pretty well. You hear more intake noise than exhaust as you accelerate. I'd like to modify my stock aircleaner assy to the Weber to quiet things down. Maybe sometime this summer I will get around to this little project.

No way man, hearing the intake sucking air is better then hearing the exhaust IMO. :D  Thats another reason im liking mine, Its quiet enough to hear the Weber suckin.

I did a few things to my truck yesterday evening, was a lil too dark for pics so Ill get some on my way to the store this AM.

Wait, what...? I have a cat  :angel:

Well, even after that, I'm sure it would still be quieter than mine... It really sucks when I have a lady friend in the passenger seat and we're trying to talk.. And on the 3-4 hour trips picking up parts  :geek:

:rofl:   "No I had no idea this truck needed a Catalytic Converter officer"

Yeah I know what you mean, up until I get my exhaust put on, my girl would pretty much have to yell at me when we were driving. And thats why I had him run it out the side instead of out under the truck. My first 720 had 2 1/2" pipe to a Flowmaster that ended right under the cab...no cat or resinator... well needless to say it was LOUD, both inside the truck and out.

I had to start leaving my friends house earlier in the evening because it would set off car alarms on my way out of the neighborhood. And not just 1 or 2 but ALL of em!       :rofl:  :thumbup:  

So I took my cd player out of the dash and put it down in the console

1016340_588312757866936_1595494395_n.jpg

And put the dash box in its place.

Took some speakers my buddy gave to me and put them up in the kick panels

6508_588312751200270_2013409309_n.jpg

And of course, ripped the paper board crap as I was taking the panel covers out. I plan on making new ones anyways.

Then I glued a lil crack on my parcel tray under the glove box, sanded and painted it and put it back in.

995818_588312764533602_826044815_n.jpg

Those things sure are nice to have, More room for stuff and they hide the heater blower a lil bit and the wiring for it.

Now I want to find a small amp, like 300 watt, and put a pair of 6x9s or my 10 inch sub in the back for a bit of bass.

On a completely different topic, I bought one of those E-Cigs about 4 days ago and havent had a regular cigarette since! Woohoo  :thumbup:

Now I got more money for my datsun!   :rofl:

:rofl:   "No I had no idea this truck needed a Catalytic Converter officer" Yeah I know what you mean, up until I get my exhaust put on, my girl would pretty much have to yell at me when we were driving. And thats why I had him run it out the side instead of out under the truck. My first 720 had 2 1/2" pipe to a Flowmaster that ended right under the cab...no cat or resinator... well needless to say it was LOUD, both inside the truck and out. I had to start leaving my friends house earlier in the evening because it would set off car alarms on my way out of the neighborhood. And not just 1 or 2 but ALL of em!       :rofl:  :thumbup:

My tailpipe goes straight out to the back, but still pretty loud.. And same with the car alarms in the parking lots and whatnot haha

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Havent done a whole lot lately...

And as usual I didnt grab the camera and snap some pics BEFORE getting started but last week I got the wire brush and drill, took the wheels off and went to town up in the wheel wells and painted them.

1000707_593711017327110_821796307_n.jpg

21341_593748303990048_1575080369_n.jpg

And the wheel hubs

998331_593711033993775_845431491_n.jpg

Also put on newer and cleaner lug nuts but i made the mistake of not painting them and the front wheel hubs. It got surface rust in a couple days of course.

1013840_593748357323376_1227191535_n.jpg

I also used some of of this

9049_593711110660434_478616999_n.jpg

And touched up the inside of the wheels. Also hit the front bumper with it. Was gonna just cover up some of the rust but ended up doing the whole thing, it turned out better then expected

Before

994147_584986294866249_208710558_n.jpg <----You can see the rust right there...

After

995902_593711083993770_104651965_n.jpgThat foggy headlight annoys the shit out of me lol

Also notice that my yellow headlights have already faded.

:hmm:

Im gonna redo them but spray automotive clear coat over them when finished.

I knew they wouldnt last long, but I did expect them to last the summer lol

And as I expected, my exhaust is getting broken in a lil bit and is getting louder.

:thumbup:

Still levels out nicely once you get up to speed, but takeoff is getting louder.

throw the headlight in the oven for a bit if there are no rubber seals, i have heard that it helps with the condensation. maybe research it first though haha i could be wrong. 

thats weird that your headlight already faded that bad... we went the same route but with different kinds of paint and mine is still like new....?? strange. 

good progress buddy! 

throw the headlight in the oven for a bit if there are no rubber seals, i have heard that it helps with the condensation. maybe research it first though haha i could be wrong. 

thats weird that your headlight already faded that bad... we went the same route but with different kinds of paint and mine is still like new....?? strange. 

good progress buddy! 

Thanks robo  :)

Within a few days of putting new headlights in, the 1 had condensation. So, I took it back out of the truck and put it on top of a burner on the oven and turned it up to about 400 degrees so the heat would just come up through the burners to heat it up to get the moisture out. Its a sealed beam so it does have a rubber seal around the face glass but the silicone stuff they put over the connectors running into the back of the HL had chipped off and let moisture in. I thought i had resealed it well enough but apparently not. In the end its all good, its has a different reflective coating on the inside then the other lowbeam light so im gonna have to replace it anyways cause that will bug the shit out of me lol

Different AND not sealed? Yeah its got to go   :rofl:

Yeah I was really surprised at how fast that yellow faded. I think it washed off more so rather then faded actually. I really took my time and...well...thought I did a good job to where it would last a lil while...guess not haha

Like I said, when I do em next time Ill spray some rustoleum clear coat over them. That should make it last a while...hopefully lol

I still have lots of body work to do. I need to cut out the passenger floor and put some new metal down there.

I dont want my lady to hop in one day and put her feet through the floor...Mrs Flintstone style...

...although the look on her face would be hilarious  :rofl:

• 1 month later...