Noob question

RTB

I am going to be purchasing my first 510 and its pretty much just a shell from 510keeper. I plan on dropping a sr20 into it. I was wondering what some easy and cheap upgrades would be. Like which parts from a 240z would fit and be easier to find and things of that nature. I know that there are noobs that probably post these kinds of questions all the time but help would truly be appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to put 240 parts on what?- the car or the engine?

I would recommend the search function at the top of the screen as well as Google. If you have the foresight to know other people have posted these questions, Im sure you can see those answers. 

Seems to me that you know nothing about this swap so the best thing is to research and find out how others that have done this did theirs. For this we have a search function over on the right side of the page. I typed in "sr20 swap into 510" and in 3 seconds had pages of options. The first was How To Swap An SR20DET Into A 510 and you can't do better than that. I suggest you try doing this and come back in a few days with some knowledge on this and a few less general questions. Research research research. Do something by yourself and learn all you can about it. Find out what motor mounts work and don't and ask the hard questions like how to clear the turbo pipes around the torsion bars.

I'm not in a rush to finish and am pretty tech savvy. I guess my question is more along the lines of how to avoid noob mistakes. I think I'm going to try to fit a 240z dash in. I know that requires trimming. Also recommended brandswand be appreciated. Its going to be my summer/autocross car so I just want to know what the recommended set up for something like would be

Research. Read everything written about SR20s, S13/14s, 510s and 5 speeds. Specially where these topics overlap. EFI? here's a freebe http://community.ratsun.net/topic/537-how-to-wire-a-ka-ca-sr-and-vg-into-anything/

Even experienced engine swappers have trouble with the SR and say that a KA is easier. Do you have..

A plan? Parts list, mods needed, expected costs, how much time needed to complete, tools....

Any thought given to how you will stop or handle a car that now has 3 times the power it came with on 40 year old brake and suspension technology?  

Any engine swap experience? I don't mean putting a 350 into an S-10. 

A garage for 6 to 12 months?

Besides tools, a mig or tig welder, metal fabricating space or equipment? Lots of "One Offs" with a swap.

Besides an SR motor and transmission... $3-$4000?

Time to complete this?

A g/f? or family

I think your biggest challenge will be wiring, if it'd your first 510 I would  recomende running an L sereies first then make a plan for a swap

This is the wise move. Get familiar with the 510 and work up to a swap. You have to crawl before you walk.

I have a bit of experience helping a friend put a 4bt Cummins into a land cruiser but that's world's apart. I'll look into a ka. Got time, garage, and money. And most tools plus a friend to help with the build.