Electric fan upgrade

j_boy_619

Ok, so I installed the fan, the controller unit, and the probe. Sadly, I think the controller is broken. So I was wondering if any of you have any other ideas for a switch. I was thinking of getting one to switch with the water temperature sensor, but I don't know what size/thread I would need. But that means I would lose my temp gauge :/ so yeah, any one have better ideas, please let me know

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depending on which Head you have,    if you have the vacuum switch on the left side of the head (just opposite the temp sender)  

and you are not using it  ..IE smog crap....  pull that out and run your thermal switch.   I used that to install a guage when I had overheating problems..    (just wanted to check and see if the factory gauge was accurate).

I am running this Centech fan controller in my 620. Works perfectly. I am running the FC-2PE model.

http://www.centechwire.com/Electronic-Fan-Control-FC-2P.htm

What makes you think that your sender is not working? Is it and adjustable style controller? And do you have it wired with a relay??

This looks interesting, so it just connects to my temp guage sender? Seriously that simple? Cuz mine has a probe in the radiator, then to the control unit, then to the fan, then to power.

depending on which Head you have,    if you have the vacuum switch on the left side of the head (just opposite the temp sender)  

and you are not using it  ..IE smog crap....  pull that out and run your thermal switch.   I used that to install a guage when I had overheating problems..    (just wanted to check and see if the factory gauge was accurate).

I'd be down to do this too, but I'd have to check mine out. I think i dont have it, but I'll know for sure tonight

This looks interesting, so it just connects to my temp guage sender? Seriously that simple? Cuz mine has a probe in the radiator, then to the control unit, then to the fan, then to power.

They have two styles that hook directly to a sending unit. Both use the same control box.

The first style(FC-2PGwires to an existing sending unit IF that sending unit operates in the range  that the Centech unit was calibrated for. Basically it is calibrated to be wired to a GM, Ford or Dodge style unit. I did not use this one

The second style(FC-2PE) uses the same control box, but this kit comes with it's own sending unit so that everything is calibrated together. This is the kit that I used. However, It does require a location to install a second sending unit.

They have a third style that is for wiring to digital guages, I don't think we need to worry about that option in this discussion.

If you do the research about sending units and their resistance specs, it may be possible to wire it to a stock sending unit. I didn't do that research and just installed the kit with it's own sending unit.

what fan controller do you currently have? most of them are adjustable you sure its not adjusted to a point where it will never turn on? relay good? sure its wired right? i have a hayden fan controller with the probe you stick in the fins and ive been running it since 06 with no issues whatsoever and its connected to the ac no problems in that entire time 

I have a derale. It's adjustable from like 150 to 230 if I remember correctly. And it's the probe that goes in the radiator too. The relay had some black gunk when I took it out so I thought the controller was bad. I emailed the seller, just waiting on a response.