NEED HELP WITH 521 motor swap!!

Zooner521

im new here, this is my first post.

Ok, so i have a 69 521 that i bought for cheap. the j13 was dead. so i swapped in a l16 with dual carbs and semi built. i got motor and tranny in. hooked up my radiator everything is done. made new motor mounts etc.. my stock coil only has one wire running to the dizzy yet on the L16 there is two different  spots. one is for the condenser, is there anyway to run it like this without changing my coil? :confused:

this may be a dumb question.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

arly Datsun L-series used dual point distributers to comply with smog,unlike mallory dual points, Datsun only runs on one set at at time.

Doesnt matter which connection you use. The timing is about 5 degrees apart between the 2 sets.

Simplified: hook to whichever terminal you prefer, just check the timing when you are done.

I was a Datsun tech back in the day,Am glad to help with any questions.

Vaughn

• Like 1
Early Datsun L-series used dual point distributers to comply with smog,

I think you meant to say single point. Early L16s (like my '69 510) are single point. They then switched to dual point. 

OP, take off the dizzy cap and look inside. If its single point, then run the wire from the coil to the outside prong that is connected to the points. If its dual points, then you can run it to either one as Dat Soon mentioned. 

arly Datsun L-series used dual point distributers to comply with smog,unlike mallory dual points, Datsun only runs on one set at at time.

Doesnt matter which connection you use. The timing is about 5 degrees apart between the 2 sets.

Simplified: hook to whichever terminal you prefer, just check the timing when you are done.

Vaughn

Welcome to Ratsun  B)

Early Datsun L-series used dual point distributers to comply with smog,unlike mallory dual points, Datsun only runs on one set at at time.

Vaughn

That is an awesome first post.