510 Auto trans Issues - Help

qwik510

Hey guys,

A local guy has a 71 510 wagon. It is stock other then a weber 32/36 carb and has the B/W auto trans.

The car has started to consume alot of transmission fluid. I mean 3 quarts in 50-75 miles of driving. No obvious signs of leaking, no drips or puddles in the driveway, not wet underneath, etc. 

It has also started to smoke out the back when driving it. It seems to smoke more after you decelerate and then accelerate again. The smoke is white in color with tinges of blue. 

The radiator is full of coolant and is not leaking and the oil is at the proper level and is not milky or diluted. 

I have very little experience with automatic transmissions. Based on the above, I am stumped. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Plugged/leaking/bad modulator.

its an external part 10 - 15 minute swap

I had the EXACT same thing happen years ago, the smoke out the rear was the stumper then

Modulator valve diaphragm is leaking. Intake vacuum is sucking the ATF up and running through the motor.

The modulator is located on the left rear and will have a vacuum line connected to it. I have no idea where you will find another. It is a Borg/Warner 35 which have been around since automatics were invented. Try a transmission shop.

Plugged/leaking/bad modulator.

its an external part 10 - 15 minute swap

I had the EXACT same thing happen years ago, the smoke out the rear was the stumper then

Modulator valve diaphragm is leaking. Intake vacuum is sucking the ATF up and running through the motor.

The modulator is located on the left rear and will have a vacuum line connected to it. I have no idea where you will find another. It is a Borg/Warner 35 which have been around since automatics were invented. Try a transmission shop.

Thanks guys. We will try to find one.

Anyone know where the best place to find a replacement modulator would be? It's my 510 in question. 

If it's for your '72 you have a 3N71B auto, Nissan's 'in house' brand transmission made by JATCO. The vacuum modulator part # is 31931-H0101 from Nissan.

The vacuum modulator for the Muncie B/W is part # is BWAMA-00370 from Nissan.

You have the American made Muncie Indiana BW Transmission. Try RockAuto, Kragen [or local equivalent], in a pinch SAAB, Ford, Chrystler if they still have old AMC or Jeep parts. Borg Warner supplied many independent and European manufacturers.