alum radiator for 510

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did some digging on the net and found out that you can get these alum. radiators at a very low cost but you have to buy like 100s of them from China or Taiwan.  Seen other auto parts too like waterpumps, alternators, brakes and so on...that's why you are seeing a lot of alum rads., they all look the same with different names. PPl. don't recore cuz it cost too much.  Radiator shop I use to go to for my needs back in the days just recently closed, Dr. Radatior, heard they said they could not compete with the influx of cheaply price rads coming from oversees.  Typical today.

did some digging on the net and found out that you can get these alum. radiators at a very low cost but you have to buy like 100s of them from China or Taiwan.  Seen other auto parts too like waterpumps, alternators, brakes and so on...that's why you are seeing a lot of alum rads., they all look the same with different names. PPl. don't recore cuz it cost too much.  Radiator shop I use to go to for my needs back in the days just recently closed, Dr. Radatior, heard they said they could not compete with the influx of cheaply price rads coming from oversees.  Typical today.

so those craiglist ones are actually good?

i thought they were cheap and what not.

so those cheap ones are like the champions? or...

so those craiglist ones are actually good?

i thought they were cheap and what not.

so those cheap ones are like the champions? or...

Im going to say no. 

There are a lot of them that look similar, but that doesn't mean they are. You really do get what you pay for most of the time... especially with auto parts. There is usually a difference in quality when you buy from something that Made in the US or Made in China or Made in Japan. If its not a true product by one of the well known companies, Id venture to say they are all the same Chinese knockoffs. Some people have decent reviews on parts like that and some have horrible experiences. Since they are cheap Chinese products thats going to be a normal thing because their quality control is almost non-existant. 

If you cant afford a real aluminum radiator made by a respectable company, I would just pick up another OEM type from a different vehicle and swap it in. At least you know its a decent unit. No reason to buy Chinese crap just to have a shiny radiator. 

Im going to say no. 

There are a lot of them that look similar, but that doesn't mean they are. You really do get what you pay for most of the time... especially with auto parts. There is usually a difference in quality when you buy from something that Made in the US or Made in China or Made in Japan. If its not a true product by one of the well known companies, Id venture to say they are all the same Chinese knockoffs. Some people have decent reviews on parts like that and some have horrible experiences. Since they are cheap Chinese products thats going to be a normal thing because their quality control is almost non-existant. 

If you cant afford a real aluminum radiator made by a respectable company, I would just pick up another OEM type from a different vehicle and swap it in. At least you know its a decent unit. No reason to buy Chinese crap just to have a shiny radiator. 

AMEN..just because of "BLING".

Im not adverse to having parts look nice and function well, but there comes a point when its not worth it. Bonvo already pointed out he swapped in a radiator for something like $50. If you dont want the poor looking (purely opinion) swap then you can pick up the $300 Koyorad. Theres a pretty big difference in price. The third thing is that Chinese knock-of on CL will probably be something like $200-$225. Its great that its a shiny aluminum radiator and $100 less than that Koyorad, but who knows what kind of quality youre going to get. Poor cooling, busted welds, irregular fitment. When the cons outweigh the $50 junkyard swap youre now wasting the price difference of $175 instead of saving $100. 

Swap in a nice junkyard radiator and use your savings to purchase new spark plugs, cap, and other misc. tune-up parts to help your ride run better. You will be far happier. 

• Like 1

Or datmo can pm the ones on this forum who bought alum rads on craigs or ebay and asked about quality, fit and cooling issue or he can also get a new fiero rad from lets say autozone for like 120.00. Im not really a big fan of jy for radiators, thats just me. In this case, i would by new. This is what i observe about datsun owners...they dont have the money like hot rods or muscle car collectors. Not saying all datsun owners but most, because most are young and are not financially settled yet.

• Like 1
Im not adverse to having parts look nice and function well, but there comes a point when its not worth it. Bonvo already pointed out he swapped in a radiator for something like $50. If you dont want the poor looking (purely opinion) swap then you can pick up the $300 Koyorad. Theres a pretty big difference in price. The third thing is that Chinese knock-of on CL will probably be something like $200-$225. Its great that its a shiny aluminum radiator and $100 less than that Koyorad, but who knows what kind of quality youre going to get. Poor cooling, busted welds, irregular fitment. When the cons outweigh the $50 junkyard swap youre now wasting the price difference of $175 instead of saving $100. 

Swap in a nice junkyard radiator and use your savings to purchase new spark plugs, cap, and other misc. tune-up parts to help your ride run better. You will be far happier. 

Racerx made the point that I can buy a fiero rad from autozone or what not and I think that's better than the 300 one.

I'm not doing it for the looks. I kid you not. haha. I actually want the car to run well I just have family issues with money and for the next month, I won't have much so I'm trying to get a good radiator for a cheap price.

Does the fiero radiator fit well?

My options have come down to the champion rad on ebay for $200 and the fiero.

Based on quality, what would you suggest.

In fact, I would love to spend the extra money on better things to get the car runnign better