alum radiator for 510

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only bad thing about that radiator is that the brackets that you bolt it onto the firewall are flush with the radiator. There is a lip on the inside of the firewall that sticks out not allowing the brackets to be flush with the firewall.

I used skateboard bearings as a spacer to fill the gap. Other than that I've had no issues and runs great.

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg
l.jpg

l.jpg

I don't have one of those, but I do have the OEM style radiator from Champion.  http://www.championradiators.com/datsun-510-radiator-1968-1973

All in all, I am very satisfied with the radiator I have.  Fitment is great with the exception of what Dat510_Chris pointed out.  You can either bend or grind the core support to get it to sit flush or use spacers.  I did a little of both.

called one of their distributor., not really that far from my house..$305.00, so I asked the guy is this 3 core, did not know, then I asked if required mods, did not know. Also did reviews on their products and not too good..specially fitment issue.  Seems like these are thicker than usual..thanks anyway.

called one of their distributor., not really that far from my house..$305.00, so I asked the guy is this 3 core, did not know, then I asked if required mods, did not know. Also did reviews on their products and not too good..specially fitment issue.  Seems like these are thicker than usual..thanks anyway.

Jun runs one in his wagon. He was spearheading the developement to get them made for the 510... should be plug and play. 

380_Datsun_510_Wagon-640x426.jpg

okay will consider..who's Jun?  this is the guy with the nice light green wagon that does stuff for Hotwheels?

Yes. 

321_Datsun_510_Wagon-640x426.jpg

Jun is a fantastic guy. He was a pretty active member and then work blew up for him so hes been extraordinarily busy. 

if you dont mind a little fab work why not go with a vw radiator? there alot thinner then the aluminum ones posted above and cool better then a stock datto rad could ever dream of the cores are aluminum which is good downside is that the end tanks are plastic but for 50 bucks or so it beats out any of the other radiator options i have seen

if you dont mind a little fab work why not go with a vw radiator? there alot thinner then the aluminum ones posted above and cool better then a stock datto rad could ever dream of the cores are aluminum which is good downside is that the end tanks are plastic but for 50 bucks or so it beats out any of the other radiator options i have seen

For me, they look like garbage. Im not a preacher of form over function, but I want parts the look nice as well as function properly. 

you do realize thats what im running in the 610 right? a little paint and it looks no different then a stocker originally i got it because it fit and was cheap but when i fabbed in ac i was glad i got it because of how thin it is 

DSCN0205.jpg

DSC04464.jpg

DSC04465.jpg

For me, I chose the new three core aluminum rads so I could keep stock hoses, not have to come up with custom mounts, and the all aluminum welded radiator is an upgrade from stock.  I know you could do the same thing by recoring an old radiator, but the cost of recoring is likely more than buying the new job from Champion.  Thickness isn't an issue for me.

Seems like most people won't be able to do the VW swap for only $50?  I think those inline filler necks aren't cheap.  Like $30 depending on what you get?

For me, I chose the new three core aluminum rads so I could keep stock hoses, not have to come up with custom mounts, and the all aluminum welded radiator is an upgrade from stock.  I know you could do the same thing by recoring an old radiator, but the cost of recoring is likely more than buying the new job from Champion.  Thickness isn't an issue for me.

Seems like most people won't be able to do the VW swap for only $50?  I think those inline filler necks aren't cheap.  Like $30 depending on what you get?

the swap doesnt work for under 50 but for under 100 is very possible my inline filler i got at a junk yard from an mr2 for 5 bucks reuse stock lower hose and go one new hose not expensive easy to fab up mounts (3 l shaped brakets and 1 s shaped braket) and your done sure its not as shiny or as cool looking as an all aluminum one but for under 100 bucks to update the cooling system who the hell cares lol 

tristin looks to me are a secondary thing its black and understated blends into my engine bay while my bright blue block, polished valve cover, and chrome air cleaner pop it looks clean to me and redirects the attention where i want it on the engine in the bay not the shiny parts around it 

No offense to Bonvo (who changed his avatar and I didn't recognize him), as I have some really janky stuff in my car.  I'm not pointing fingers, but this is why I didn't want to put in a VW or any other radiator:

untitled41_zps47a0bb16.jpg

that pic is from when i was mocking in the ac components and is only there to hold it while i get everything else situated my final mount looks nothing like that you have to remember i have an ac condencer between the radiator and the radiator support im not saying its a direct bolt in or that it looks as good as an aluminum radiator im saying that for under 100 bucks its an alternative to an aluminum radiator for those of us on a budget and it can be made to look good 

• Like 1
that pic is from when i was mocking in the ac components and is only there to hold it while i get everything else situated my final mount looks nothing like that you have to remember i have an ac condencer between the radiator and the radiator support im not saying its a direct bolt in or that it looks as good as an aluminum radiator im saying that for under 100 bucks its an alternative to an aluminum radiator for those of us on a budget and it can be made to look good 

It's all good.  I just remember trying to find people's solutions for mounting radiators from other cars when I was trying to figure out what to do, and a lot of them ended up looking like that.  I'm interested in what your final solution looked like?

the swap doesnt work for under 50 but for under 100 is very possible my inline filler i got at a junk yard from an mr2 for 5 bucks reuse stock lower hose and go one new hose not expensive easy to fab up mounts (3 l shaped brakets and 1 s shaped braket) and your done sure its not as shiny or as cool looking as an all aluminum one but for under 100 bucks to update the cooling system who the hell cares lol 

tristin looks to me are a secondary thing its black and understated blends into my engine bay while my bright blue block, polished valve cover, and chrome air cleaner pop it looks clean to me and redirects the attention where i want it on the engine in the bay not the shiny parts around it 

Im not hating man, if you like it then thats all that maters. I dont like the industrial look of the top of the radiator, all the fins are exposed (it looks to me incomplete), your overflow line spans way too far for me... For the extra price of an aluminum one (even if you painted it black) I think you get more out of it. Hell, just re-core the stock one into a a 3 pass if you want subtlety. To me, the VW radiator doesnt look like it belongs at all. 

But thats the beauty of this forum, everyone has different parts and different builds. 

its all good to each there own i was just offering up the alternative to a 200+ dollar rad 

my vw rad is different then most in the fact that its made out of copper and brass so filler neck is attached at the bottom of the tank and is seperate this allowed me to snake it around and behind the fillerneck so its not noticable on the ones with the plastic tanks it would be a little different like apoxying an extra mounting tab on the back side 

currently I have a 84 Fiero radiator on my 510  and was confirmed by Datsloco....I'm looking at other alternatives, in case thisone goes out,

I can get a Fiero rad for like $120,  saw and heard about the alum. ones on Ebay and was curious about the fit and cooling issue.  So any other suggestions is good as I am just planning ahead.