My 720 Progress

KRAKER

I've been lurking here a while now. Just thought it may not be a bad idea to catalog the progression of my 720.

The back story. A neighbor of mine had received the truck in lieu of payment and asked if I were willing to take a look at it and wanted an estimate to have it fixed. I came to the conclusion that the truck had a blown head gasket. Which I later found out it's pretty common issue with these motors. So I gave him an estimate on what it would run to fix it as a side job. The truck ended up sitting till winter time when my neighbor approached me about buying the truck, it was Christmas time 2010. It wasn't really an opportune time and I had 300 bucks I could drop on the truck. So I offered it up and he took it. i figured if the motor was smoked I'd probably get the money back in scrap.

So I pushed the truck across the street tore down the motor and boom! burned between 3 and 4. I threw in a new gasket. fired her up and she smoked something aweful for about an hour or so. The truck ran ok enough to go to work and back. It did so for about 3 months till the clutch slave cylinder went out on me. A week after that the master went out. The week after that the carb needed rebuilding. A week after that it needed a fuel pump. It also had a hard start problem that was a mother to get started sometimes. Before I found out (thanks to ratsun) it's cause by not enough grounds to the block, the truck caught fire as I was getting ready to go to a weekend full of Rock Crawling and camping with friends. Boy was that conveinient.  Then for whatever freakish reason the truck started eating coils. Randomly. Sometimes they'll last weeks sometimes they's last seconds. Sometimes the coils come back to life. This was so frustrating.

The truck has been sitting since last June. Since then I have been looking over what to do with the truck. I have decided to go with a KA24E and a td04 turbo out of a WRX. Which is where I am today with this pig.  Hopefully this engine build turns out how I hope it will or we might just load the thing up with tannerite and mushroom cloud the damn thing.

Future plans are a above average mild wheeler.

KA24E-T

Stock trans

Zuk 6.5:1 low

Rear Rodeo Dana 44 lunchbox locker

Early Waggy Front Dana 44 Spool

4.56:1 gears in the axles

Toyota rear leafs up front

Chevy 63's put back with double shackles

Probably 37" military tires with recentered H1's

Bobbed bed

*above is subject to change

So I plan to catalog the progress on the truck here. Now on with the pics.

ShopTruck002.jpg

ShopTruck001.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after finding a 240sx KA24E. I tore the motor down and sent it to PB Machine in Cave Creek, Arizona for dipping. Once I got the block back I mic'd it out and I probably could have gotten away with honing the cyliner and running the same pistons.

EDB67F2F-208C-46B4-8147-13DB1C6AE4C3-680

90D80D6C-F267-4666-9772-4FCC720489CA-680

I chose to not risk it and punch the motor 0.020 over. Now the block is back over ot PB machine getting the bore and hone done. I should have it back any day now. I can't wait to get the shortblock together.

I picked up a couple things as well

td04 out of a WRX

E3A5A9E6-71F0-4C2E-BFD6-3AC3DC7261CF-729

Tsuda down pipe for the td04. I think/looks like it will work with a custom manifold I plan to build custom ex manifold.

68E09FD0-EF4B-4B88-94B4-7C4A599255F2-729

Well getting an oil pan for that will be interesting. Maybe cut the bottom from a Hardbody 4X4 KA and weld to the S13 pan. You may have noticed the crank has a girdle and the Hardbody pan doesn't clear it. Get the Hardbody oil pick-up tube also.

Well getting an oil pan for that will be interesting. Maybe cut the bottom from a Hardbody 4X4 KA and weld to the S13 pan. You may have noticed the crank has a girdle and the Hardbody pan doesn't clear it. Get the Hardbody oil pick-up tube also.

I have read  that many times and I see where the sump is in the way of  center link,  my plans are to cut all of the ifs out and either throw  in the garbage  or sell it, and sas the truck. I might even make a custom pan and pickup tube. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple updates.

Bottom end is together

327EEF53-C79F-49CB-A572-BD0C9BF6F7CE-140

Made a couple saftey upgrades

053BF63D-DD3B-4009-A493-A9D5909C7B76-778

Started working on the head

1D8E1104-AB2A-449C-9F2A-5333999A4257-140

Picked up a set of these for the manifold.

13AE85F1-EC3A-498A-A45C-510CD4DDD229-140

I ported the head myself and now it's sent out for a vavle job. Once it's back I'll bolt it up and take the long block over to my buddys fab shop and get the oil pan and manifold fabbed up.

• 3 weeks later...

got some stuff in. 

CFF29B88-7F3F-4882-BF16-28A19A2AAB02-148

A186761C-ECC3-41C9-AD87-5B289C8607EA-141

I'm going to assemble the jimstim and megasquirt an hour per day till its ready to go. I ordered a WRX top mount intercooler and going to see if i can get it to work as   side mount intercooler.

Tim  permitting the motor will be going to the fab shop for the  manifold an  oil pan  

Me too. lol

I got my 440cc Deatschworks injectors in yesterday. As soon as the head gets back it's fab time, so it will be a while before any updates. 

A friend of mine decided it was time to upgrade his transfercase. So I should be picking a zuk case with 6.5:1 and upgraded outputs soon.

Before I cut out and throw it all away. Does anyone have any interest in any of the following?

83 720 complete front suspension, front drivetrain, torsion bars, torsion keys, rims, and steering box. All of it works fine. Possibly the bed as well. Everything is Arizona rust free and functions as it's supposed to.

Disclaimer: I did wheel this truck once and did hear an audible "pop" fromt the front end. It was loud anough to sound like an axle shaft snaping. Everything ran fine after that. If you want me to ship you're gonna have to make it worth my time. I'd also like to get rid of it all in one shot. No warranty expressed or implied as is sales no returns or refunds.

Here are some pics.

4FC1CDD9-F9D7-4279-8992-03FD7D4FF1B5-171

4BE5DB73-93A6-42E9-A81C-452FAB4D0BA8-171

EA68308E-9A9E-46EA-A236-E1105AC73FED-171

7C2D263F-5BC7-4B33-8358-81E1F0EC07EF-171

FC9077C9-5BA5-40AE-8F2C-92AF6EFBFFFF-171

D908B7C8-027A-4A29-B310-D15CF86AEDA9-171

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a great plan so far :thumbup:

I hope it is.

I do have a question for those more 720 savvy than me. Is it possible to remove the front drivetrain parts e.g. front driveline, diff, axles, hubs, and still be able to drive the truck as if it was 2wd?

I need to start driving this truck as soon as the motor is done and I really don't want to make an oil pan twice.