1978 620 Dome light/lighter not working

ghammer

ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Let me try this for the third time!!!!!

Ok, I need a little help....well I need a lot of help, but my truck needs a little help....LOL!!

Let me preface this by saying i'm not an idiot, but I do some stupid things.....ha ha!

That being said here I go...

'78 620, auto with a/c. I had the dash out and the dome light worked and the lighter lead was hot. I know this because I was testing leads for some additional wiring. I put the dash back in, cluster is still out, but now the dome light is dead along with the lighter lead. I have not made any additional wiring yet. Here's what i've done so far: fuse panel cleaned-overnight in vinegar, fuses good-power all the way out into wiring, wiggled wiring looking for weak spot. Before I start tearing apart wiring behind dash, I looked online at a wiring diagram, but didn't find any easy answer to my questions.

What I'd like to know is: the wiring diagram shows those two items to be on the same circuit, where exactly are those two things spliced into power at? The diagram showed a 15a fuse....where is the fuse hidden? Hopefully it's something simple? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 15a fuse for them is generally located behind the glove box where the harnesses connects to the harness going through the firewall into the engine compartment. It's an in line fuse and will be taped up.

• Like 1

I found a fuse back there behind the glove box and checked it, it was ok. I figured it was for my a/c because it was in my a/c loom and not my main truck loom. I'll look back there again and see if there is another one. Of course this couldn't have happened while the dash out..lol! Would have been much easier to chase a gremlin. I'm so close to having this all back together to drive, if I can't find it quick I'm just going to rewire the circuit. Wasted most of yesterday trying to reach behind dash to try and find gremlin. Again, thanks for all the input guys!

Went back out today and located 'other' fuse behind glove box. Ha ha! What do you know blown! Its funny....looking through glove box opening I could see one, then when looking under dash I was looking at other one. Too funny! Wasted all yesterday messing with this. Thanks again to everyone for chiming in and helping!

After finding the blown fuse, I tried putting the cover back over the fuse......good luck with a/c without pulling the dash.......well at least I can't get both of my meat hooks in there at the same time. So I cut out the fuse lengthened wires and now am able to get to the fuse next time. Fun!

Yes, works like a champ. Even finished all my other wiring additions, extra courtesy lights under each side of dash, extra charging port hidden in center console, wired up new radio...... Then this evening adapted a 3.75" auto gage tach into dash opening. Took tach apart attached a stock Datsun lens to it made some brackets and mounted it to from behind like the ever so elusive stock tack would mount. Damn so close to being able to start commuting with it.....

I had the courtesy lamp wiring unplugged at some point, I must have touched it on some metal and didn't see the sparks. I had actually checked for pinched wires before.....nada. I just realized I'm now a member....sweet!