New Member From Alberta!!

The_Fuzz

Hi all,

Just picked up my first, and hopefully not my last, Datsun 510. It's a '71 sedan that is in dire need of restoration. I was looking for a project Volvo for a long time, but my friend was having thoughts about selling his 510. I made him an offer a few weekends ago, and this past Sunday I towed it home.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty damn excited to get started on this thing. Needs a lot of work, but it isn't a complicated car to work on.

Here are some photos:

856096_10151242170787581_1077834816_o.jp

860506_10151242171522581_1424283255_o.jp

859111_10151242169187581_212350204_o.jpg

861218_10151242168797581_754091923_o.jpg

And here's my driveway for now.

843987_10151242082407581_656563285_o.jpg

My first task for the car, is to get it running. I have no spark nor fuel pressure. My guesses are the distributor and fuel pump need to be replaced. Any ideas where I can find said items?

Cheers!

-Zach

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I don't have a thread started anywhere just yet. I will post one once I start doing some serious work to it"

Liar! 

Liar?????

Well do explain....obviously you are more privy to some info that eludes some of us.

Liar?????

Well do explain....obviously you are more privy to some info that eludes some of us.

It's an inside joke, haha. I was talking to his on another website and he said,"I don't have a thread started anywhere just yet. I will post one once I start doing some serious work to it"

I guess I can convinced him to make a thread. 

Lol I just posted pictures. Not even an official build thread. Plus, I need some advice/help with this project too!

So back on topic, any ideas where I can find a good fuel pump and distributor?

Are you sure u need a distributor and not just points? That battery cable could work better if it was attatched to the block.

I might be as simple as that, but the distributor looks pretty old and frayed. If you look in the pictures, you can see that the ground for the battery is attached to the Valve Cover.

The car cranks, but doesn't turn over. I took out a spark plug, left the wire attached to the plug, and grounded threated part of the plug by holding it to the valve cover. Normally I should see some sort of spark right? Got nothing, and the plugs aren't in bad shape either.

Pretty sure the fuel pump is dead too.

FUEL PUMP

Get a small container of gas and put the fuel pulp inlet pipe in it and crank it over. Bet it works just fine.

There are many more common reasons for no fuel delivery than a bad pump. The tank could be empty (even though the gauge reads) The hose or hard lines could be pinched. The lines could be plugged with rust. The fuel filter plugged. Hell someone else might have had the tank out and connected the vent line to the pump and you are sucking fumes.

Don't buy a pump you may not even need until you prove it's bad.

DISTRIBUTOR

Get a $5 test light from Crappy Tire.

With key ON check the Positive coil terminal for power.

Crank with dizzy cap  off and see if the points are even closing... if closed are they opening???

There are many reasons for no power to the coil.

The coil could be bad.

Dizzy loose and not grounded.

Condenser could be internally shorted.

You don't even need another distributor, just replace the points.

FUEL PUMP

Get a small container of gas and put the fuel pulp inlet pipe in it and crank it over. Bet it works just fine.

There are many more common reasons for no fuel delivery than a bad pump. The tank could be empty (even though the gauge reads) The hose or hard lines could be pinched. The lines could be plugged with rust. The fuel filter plugged. Hell someone else might have had the tank out and connected the vent line to the pump and you are sucking fumes.

Don't buy a pump you may not even need until you prove it's bad.

DISTRIBUTOR

Get a $5 test light from Crappy Tire.

With key ON check the Positive coil terminal for power.

Crank with dizzy cap  off and see if the points are even closing... if closed are they opening???

There are many reasons for no power to the coil.

The coil could be bad.

Dizzy loose and not grounded.

Condenser could be internally shorted.

You don't even need another distributor, just replace the points.

I never really tested anything to be honest. Just assumed they all needed to be replaced as the car has been sitting for 10+ years. I'll definitely do those tests datzenmike. Thanks man!

Every day or so we see posts of someone finding a Datsun in a field or barn and they pump up the tires, pour gas down the carb, give it a boost and it starts up. A few adjustments and it's running... needs work of course but it runs. Fuel pumps rarely fail, I have a two a 39 and a 37 year old and they run just fine. 

Every day or so we see posts of someone finding a Datsun in a field or barn and they pump up the tires, pour gas down the carb, give it a boost and it starts up. A few adjustments and it's running... needs work of course but it runs. Fuel pumps rarely fail, I have a two a 39 and a 37 year old and they run just fine. 

Yeah I guess it being such a simple mechanism it's probably the other parts around it that fail. I'll take out the fuel lines and gas tank this weekend to have a closer look. Anything else I should have a look at since I'll have the tank out?