521 headlight issue update and new gremlin...

jammin

First off, thanks to all who helped in my first issue with  my headlights.   I found my problem to be mostly lying in the fuse connection with corrosion.  So..after taking apart fuse junction/ connections everything worked just fine...BUT.....as i was checking lights etc etc, when I put the hi beams on, the fuse started smoking on the side nearest to the firewall and actually melted the solder inside the fuse and it bubbled out! Fuse did not pop though, so lights are still working.   Fuses are brand new 15amp Buss....any thoughts / insight onto why the fuse got so hot when hi beams are on?  you couldn't even touch the fuse it was so hot.....

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The clips on fuse box that hold the fuse are over 40 years old.  If you have a poor connection there, it get hot.  The heat makes the connection worse.  And it heats up even more.

You can clean the fusebox, by soaking it in vinegar, and rinsing and drying it relly well, but if the clips have gotten hot, they probably have lost some spring tension, and still will not work as good as new.

One solution is to use a relay that is triggered by the original headlight wiring, and get fused power from another source besides the stock fuse box.

This is how I did that.  The power source going to a new relay.  It is the orange wire, with the blue fuse.

NewRelayB.jpg

The added relay.  The orange wire goes to pin 30, of the new relay.  The stock red with yellow stripe wire on the original Datsun Headlight relay is moved to pin 86 on the new relay.  Pin 85 on the new relay is grounded.  Pin 87 on the new relay has a short jumper that goes to the stock headlight relay, that the red with yellow stripe ware was on.

NewHeadlightrelay.jpg

I made this modification on one of my project trucks, Ratsun.

This is the voltage drop in the headlight circuit hot side before the modification.

VoltageDropStock.jpg

And this is the voltage drop after adding the extra relay.

VoltageDropRelay.jpg