Chirping from front brake

Charlie2X

I bought an 85 720 about 3 months ago for a grand. Runs great. However, there was a small chirp coming from drivers side wheel when I applied the brakes. I bought and installed new rotors, hoses and reman calipers. The chirp is still there. Oddly it seems worse when the weather cools. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Found this site about a week ago and I've visited it religiously since. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's now unlikely to be the calipers and rotors, so try swapping the front wheels and see if it moves.

Could be the tension rod bushings on that side. When brakes are applied, the wheel tries to move to the rear of the truck but is held in position by the tension rod. Compressing the worn rubber bushing might cause a squeak. If they have been replaced with polly then this is almost certainly the problem

It agrees but could be other things. Inspect the tension bar rear where it bolts to the LCA. Are the bolts loose? What about the front. Is there wear on the rod, maybe a shiny area of rub? Try spraying the front of the tension rod where the bushings are with WD-40 and see if it gets quiet. Is the LCA bushing on the frame mount worn/loose? Is the sway bar secure?