L16 camshaft

Jonathan Rowe

I've just put a piper BP300 spec cam in my newly built engine.They tell me its similar to the ones used in the ford pinto engine.

So far its not producing any increased power( the cam timing has been doubled checked as has everything else).

Has anyone been down this route? and or can you recommend a different profiled cam.I'm after a rally spec, not full race engine. The head has been ported, twin 45 webbers, and bespoke SS exhaust with the right lengths and diameters.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you had a big cam in there and go to another big cam if might be hard to tell as these are small motors. alot of people think you get a biggegr cam you automatically get 20% more HP. thats isnt going to happen. maybe a 5 hp 5 pund torq difference between the 2 at certain rpms.

But going by what you done already to the motor you know this already.

I guess a Dyno will be the only tru sence.

Exactly. The benefits to a cam profile change isnt always just a direct increase in power. Could be a smoother power band, could be higher horsepower only in the low range, only the high range, could just be mostly torque increase... without a dyno you cant really tell unless its blatantly obvious. 

So you dynod it before the install and after the install?

Looking at the website for that cam, 316° seems like a lot but maybe thats because Im just new to Datsuns and theyre OK with that. Ive never used anything larger than a 290° and that was a very high HP Evo. 

Isky is out of California. Most of those cams are old grinds that been there for years.

could yout ell us the power you got out of this?

like I said I think you should contack Byron510 on the 510 realm. he has dont alot of cam swaps with his crew up there.. He is also on here maybe you can PM but I havent seen him lately.

I guess alot depend on your gear ratio set up also if running a L16.  maybe even going to 40s would be better for a rally car. But I dont really know. Sounds like you lnow more than us already. but Byron has done alot of Dyno runs with different cams.

also you have a supplier of valave train parts.?????????lash pads retainers ect...I know those are hard to get in England. Most you guys like the Pinto motors