95 D21 Pickup - Auto to Manual Transmission Questions

I own a pretty clean 95 D21 pickup with a KA24E and a column shift automatic transmission. The truck runs great, the body is nice and clean and so is the interior.

I really want a manual transmission instead of the auto trans. I am unsure if swapping it would be too much trouble to make it worth it. I know I can sell the truck for decent money and find what I really want but this one is already here and titled in my name, etc.

What would be involved in pulling the auto and swapping in a manual trans?

I know I would need to find a transmission, flywheel and clutch assembly and the clutch master and slave and hardline and shifter and the boot assembly and the pedal assembly too.

I guess things that I need to know about are:

Issues with the ECU and Wiring

Driveshaft  -  too long or too short

Trans Mount

and anything else you could share about this.

If it is too much trouble to just do the trans, I  also have a nice KA24DE and 5 speed with ECU, harness, etc from a 240SX that could be swapped in as a unit. 

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I swapped my dad's 95 V6 HB from auto to manual. I had a parts pathfinder that we took everything from. We took the clutch pedal, master cylinder, lines, damper, and slave cylinder. Then the trans, trans crossmember, flywheel, and the plate that covers the shifter hole. I don't think we needed the crossmember.

The driveshaft had to be cut and welded. Probably because it was from a pathfinder, his truck is extended cab.

The ecu didn't know the difference.

I had to do some re wiring for the starting system and the cruise control. I made everything function just like it would have it had originally been a 5 speed. I know some guys don't bother with the clutch switch, but we wanted all that like it should be.

In our case the starter itself was the same. We reused his original auto starter...again, it was a 2wd v6 truck. Not sure if you'll have the same luck.

We took the brake pedal assembly from the parts truck, but opted to just narrow his brake pedal.

what is it you are really searching for as far as far as a vehicle?

I think the auto to five speed is alot of work for a vehicle that has little collectable value.  d21s are a dime a dozen still; and honestly the auto's are much more unique.  It should be no different than most 5spd swaps.... driveshaft (front half)  transmission from a d21, clutch flywheel (from a 2wd) wiring is as simple as splicing for the reverse lights and switches back there; or you can just grab the sub harness from the donor and tap into the plug in your lower harness (at least that is how a s13 works).

the trans would bolt up but it wouldn't line up for the shifter location or the driveshaft.

OK Guys. Thanks for the input.

Part of the reason for wanting to swap is that the automatic gets poor gas mileage. I average 18-20mpg in combined city and hwy driving and 21-22 on the hwy. My friend has a 5 speed and he gets 29-32 on the hwy. At almost $4 per gallon, that alone might be worth the cost and effort.

The other reasons are even though there are plenty of D21's still available, most are not in very good condition, especially on the east coast. And my truck is pretty clean with original paint and a clean interior, cold AC and only 160K miles on it. Plus it is tagged and titled in my name so additional state inspections would not be required vs. buying another truck and I just installed a new head gasket, radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, shocks, etc. 

It is not an everyday driver for me but an extra vehicle that I call my parts hauler. 

If I could find a clean D21 King Cab with low mileage and a KA24 with 5 speed, for a decent price, I would buy it and sell mine.