Datsun 620 Brake Lines

DATSTON

How's it going gents.  I was wondering if anyone had the lengths of the brake lines.  I'm having a local datsun shop make some steel braided lines for me, but they need the lengths.  I'm currently at work and they need the lengths by today in order to have them ready for me by saturday.  if not then no worries, ill measure them over this weekend and have them made and pick them up next weekend instead.  was really hoping i could replace the brake lines this weekend so i can start taking the datsun to work on the weekdays.

thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i wasnt able to find some prefabbed steel braided brake lines made for the 620.  but i did find these online.

i would need 2 for the front

http://www.jcwhitney.com/brake-hydraulic-hose/p2024709.jcwx?filterid=d17148y1974g2j1

and 1 of these for the rear

http://www.jcwhitney.com/bendix-oe-replacement-brake-line/p3046933.jcwx?filterid=d17148y1974g2j1

can anyone confirm?  are these lines any good?  i still want to go with steel braided lines, but if regular brake lines are suggested, then i might go with these instead since its already made to fit the 620.

not questioning you on this suggestion, but is there a reason to this?  i always though steel braided brake lines were more durable and holds pressure longer.  the old brake lines on the 620 is barely holding pressure.  im pushing the pedals through the floor just to stop.

Hard lines will last longer...MUCH longer.If youare losing pressure and you see nothing wet,then the lines are NOT your issue.Last but not least(maybe),no line you have made will be DOT approved.Long lengths of braided line would make me nervous.

Hard lines will last longer...MUCH longer.If youare losing pressure and you see nothing wet,then the lines are NOT your issue.Last but not least(maybe),no line you have made will be DOT approved.Long lengths of braided line would make me nervous.

makes sense.  i just bought OEM replacement hoses.  i will be refilling the brake fluid and rebleeding the brakes.  lets see if it fixes the issue.

saw this on ebay and it kind of threw me off.  according to datsun LLC when i called them, i was only suppose to have 2 brake lines up front and 1 down the center in the rear right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-620-UTE-1972-1979-Brake-Hose-Set-4x-NEW-/310592569451?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4850c2806b&vxp=mtr

this ebay post is selling a set of 4 hoses.  should i have ordered 4?

hard lines last longer and DONT flex. SS lines still flex, just not as much as regular hoses.

if the braids arent coated and they move, they will cause abrasion to paint and any other parts they touch.

SS lines become 'work hardened' and are harder to work with.

hard lines can be bought at any auto parts store for pretty inexpensive