might be a dumb question: 620 kingpin hub modification

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but is there is a particular reason why you cannot cut the factory kingpin spindle on a pre 78 620, then add that length back to the top to make a "drop spindle" type setup?  I've got the welder and the ability, I'm just wondering why no one else has done that (at least from what I've seen).  I know the hardbody spindles and control arms swap is a better idea, but I'm just looking for something to play with currently. 

Ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thats a real good question.  I'd like to drop the 620 and have some actual suspension travel without having to do a hardbody spindle swap; mostly I'm looking for options that do not require a ton of downtime right now.  I looked at it for a few minutes earlier as I was doing some disassembly for the parts I've ordered and it popped into my head.  I'm open to suggestions or explanations of why its a terrible idea.

Maybe I've missed it but all I see is info on disc brakes, which I'd rather avoid doing at this point.  I know there are options to bolt other things in place, I've seen all that in my 4 hours of searching here.  I looked at the post you noted 420n620, but it has nothing about what I asked.  Looks like flipping the spindle would be simplest actually now that I've taken measurements.  I have access to a precision machine shop so I may just play with this a little and see what I can come up with.  Thanks for the input guys, any additional info is appreciated.

Well, not exactly.  I was thinking of cutting the kingpin upright itself and sectioning it so that the point where the hub mount is located could be moved higher. Did you move the mounting point on the lower control arm?

These are drop arms made by Mike in the link below the photo, it basically drops the car/truck 2 inches without any issues.

The lower control arm mounts in the stock position.

Mike also makes disc brake kits for kingpin front ends.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://community.ratsun.net/topic/11459-disc-brake-kits-521520320620/&sa=U&ei=2E4gUc6lLKTviQKzx4HICQ&ved=0CA0QFjACOAg&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHL6TN0sRCnSPcSgAyzLvLiC_D3sA

Mike doesn't make the drop arms ATM, but maybe in the future he will make them again, I just posted the photo to give you ideas.

What you described about cutting the upright needs to be thought out carefully/fully, I just went and looked at the parts I had rebuilt, that looks to be a critical area that I will never personally mess with, I do a lot of fabricating, but I would never attempt that.

I understand.  I'm not going to attempt it at this point because I'm going to order a set of Beebani conversion arms and do the D21 brakes and drop spindles.  Just wondering why no one had done it.  I think it could be done, it would just have to be done very precisely.  I like to explore all options before buying things, but in this case, I think the conversion arms are my best bet.