J-bike for the win

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I watched some tv did some reading online and went out in the garage and pulled the carbs... Dang that's a tight fit. Not looking forward to trying to put them back in. But after about 10 min work my carbs are out and ready for some cleaning in a couple days when I have time

Stripped to remove carbs

9F210C0C-E136-4823-B5E0-C69BC9EC20C6-167

No carbs...

098F8B90-00C8-4F2B-AFD3-744FC0357892-167

Carbs ready for some cleaning

749B8CEA-8207-49DD-8225-C2080C96A8DA-167

Bet you don't need kits, pull the bowls off and inspect. Clean primary jets, and check that the rubber passage plugs are good, or even there. Double check mains, clean bowls, and check for fuel flow before you put the bowls back on. If you fiddle with the MIXTURE screws when you get to tuning, DO NOT over tighten them when you seat them to set, just barely snug them then back them off. #1 newb mistake is to crank these down. What happens is the brass tip snaps off in carb body, = JUNK.

I wouldn't do pods, PITA if you don't know jetting really well, and CV carbs are finicky with them. You want your bike to run well with as little modification and investment. Another thing you should do is replace those stock plug caps with some new NGK caps, this will help a lot. Trim about a 1/8" off the wires before you screw new caps on. This will be about $20 investment. Pods and jetting will be $100 plus, and possibly hours of labor, and while they look cool, make re-installing your carbs easier, and increase HP by maybe 2-3, you won't get noticeable gain without a header ($$), gearing($$), etc, etc. I would substitute Marvel Mystery Oil for the Tranny fluid, and still do the quick oil change.

I wouldn't do pods, PITA if you don't know jetting really well, and CV carbs are finicky with them. You want your bike to run well with as little modification and investment. Another thing you should do is replace those stock plug caps with some new NGK caps, this will help a lot. Trim about a 1/8" off the wires before you screw new caps on. This will be about $20 investment. Pods and jetting will be $100 plus, and possibly hours of labor, and while they look cool, make re-installing your carbs easier, and increase HP by maybe 2-3, you won't get noticeable gain without a header ($$), gearing($$), etc, etc. I would substitute Marvel Mystery Oil for the Tranny fluid, and still do the quick oil change.

pretty sure marvel mystery oil is tranny fluid though man, I've smelt the stuff and it just looks like relabeled tranny fluid.

Yea I'm gonna do a good clean, I found a gs bike forum with a step by step cleaning. I think other than clogged jets the gaskets are probably reusable and the carbs look to have been serviced recently. It was only parked since October but he didn't burn out the fuel which is where the problem came from. I'll probably stick with the stock air box for now but maybe an upgraded filter element. And cable ends sound like a decent idea. I already have newer NGk plugs in there so I'll have to make sure they didn't already do the ends.

Well I did a carb cleaning today and the bowels were pretty nasty with brown crap. I also got new stainless screws to bolt the float bowls on. I didn't soak the bodies cause they looked clean and it all seemed to be in the bowls. Put it all back together and now it runs smooths and accelerated fast but still no idle... I didn't mess with the mixture screws so that could be the problem or maybe I need to clean them again? The jets are all perfectly clean so I'm not sure what the problem is

Nasty bowels

F6B97279-4446-43E8-A71B-A5347872AF4B-513

New screws

60614E7C-7645-49D9-B080-74786BD765FC-513

I guess I'll take them apart again in the morning. The caps for the pilot jets were hiding tons of crap so maybe there's some clogged passages I don't know about. I guess I might as well dip the carb bodies this time since I'll be completely taking them apart this time

Funny thing is when I'm riding it has to s of power and runs really smoothe through the rpm's

Yea lol I'm ignoring my truck at the moment to work on my bike to get it ready for next month when I'm getting my endorsement

Sounds like your idle adjustment may be too low, or the fuel/air is outta whack. That light brown crud is most definately rust from the tank. Most filters wont filter that. Gotta work the tank a bit, rinse, rinse, rinse. The Kreem 2 step tank prep works good, DO NOT use their liner, or any other unless that tank leaks. Clean the petcock and then the carbs, and replace the fuel line. Have you done a compression test?

The tank has a small leak so maybe I'll seat it but I got I deep clean done on the carbs today and it idles great now!

It was a nice day out so I set my work area up in the sun and got the carbs all tire down and a proper clean including chemical dip. I followed step by step instructions and blew carb cleaner and compressed air through every single passage. And stuff that couldn't go in the dip when in pinesol to clean. As each carb and it's peices came out of the dip they were assembled until it was finally all done. I put the bike back together and took it for a ride. It rode great and idled even better! I also put a really fine viewable fuel filter on to filter the gas better. Now all I need is a few cosmetics. I already picked up a couple helmets, a riding jacket with level 3 protection and a pair of riding boots. I'm all set now!

It was a really nice day out!

13125FFB-7FB6-44D7-81B9-8E30B8FEA5A3-119

DAAB4F9B-1B46-41D5-BE59-86695DB0085B-119

I even tried pinesol on one of the carbs, it got just as clean as the dip but took way way longer

BD556795-0982-4463-BAB6-F57398EDD17C-119

All clean and ready to go back on

3A03A34D-E193-472E-AE76-23755967D347-119

Victory fire! Haha gas is fun

7A53914A-3E11-40E4-9473-C393FD7AC2CD-119

• Like 1

Didn't realize there were levels to how tough a jacket is, I usually just get a nice old leather jacket with tough leather to ride with, hopefully it doesn't look as retarded as the icon armor crap that basically just covers part of your chest and shoulders instead of the whole upper body.

Haha it's a full jacket, it's black synthetic material with extra padding in the shoulders elbows and back. It looks like a pretty normal jacket but it has special vents to keep you cool in the summer and a removable liner for the winter.

Anyway the tank leak got worse after I filled it so I took it off and drained it. Gonna take a closer look at it tomorrow to see where the leak is and if it's small enough to be fixed with a liner, or if it requires a welder. And I might as well strip it and repaint it whe I'm at it

My riding gear is mostly to appear responsible to people who care if I hurt myself haha it's a cover to let me have my fun with minimal worry from other people

Well since the tank needs to be lined I decided to go ahead and repaint it! Haha so I sprayed it down with stripper and let it set

I'm thinking a nice steel grey metallic with some pin striping, or a cool electric blue. Who knows maybe even yellow haha

E1DC5E7D-0794-4964-B498-66EDC86D52D4-162

Well got all the paint removed and found the source of my gas leak. It was a nice hole haha so I cleaned it up real good and used some jb weld to fix it. I'm gonna shape it so nobody will know it's there. I'm gonna get a tank wash and some paint mixed up tomorrow and hopefully have a couple coats of primer on there tomorrow.

Paint free

D0D1DF74-8A32-49A6-AA13-5BAE4AB32AC4-338

The hole

FB706AD5-AF4A-4A1D-89D0-FD5043BB2B24-338

The fix

8A3C506E-6563-492E-A3FB-A2161DF8832E-338