Simple alternator wiring Question

sick620

In an old 521 that I owned I had an aftermarket alternator in it from a chevrolet. It was Internally regulated, to better the movement of outgoing power I wired a large gauge wire from the alternator output, to the starters input, giving it a nice thick wire to get its power to the battery. And it worked great.

Fast forward, with my current 620 I have wanted to do this same mod. But my 620 is a stock type alternator and its externally regulated. Will this work or will it fry something. Im not really sure how a voltage regulator functions. Will my wire be running really high/really low power? or will it be running at a good range? 

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The alternator has only a few main parts.  There is a Stator, it is just a bunch of looped wires, hooked up to a set of diodes.  The other side of the diodes hook up to the big positive post on the alternator.  A diode is just a one way electrical valve.  The stator is a round part, with a hole in the middle.

Inside the stator, is the rotor.  It is an electromagnet, and it is the part that is turned by the v belt.

The voltage regulator controls how much voltage is sent to the rotor.  When the battery voltage gets too high, the voltage regulator cuts back on the amount of voltage going to the rotor, and the battery voltage coming out of the alternator falls.  When the battery voltage is too low, the voltage regulator applied more voltage to the rotor, and the battery voltage goes up.

Technically, the Voltage Regulator only regulates the output voltage, by turning the rotor current on/off to achieve this. It doesn't regulate the input voltage.

But yes, they are a very simple, reliable device. The ones with internal regulator only have four wires. Even the GM alternators use three external connections (BAT/A, ground, and dash lamp wire), same as the newer Datsun alternators (which connect the A to the S wire in the wiring harness).