Prophet1012's 1982 B310 project

Richer means faster.

A12 carb has small venturis

A14 carb has large venturis, therefore flows more air, therefore makes more power over 5000 rpm on an A12.

If you need a new carburetor, a Weber 32/36 is larger still and makes more power at 6000 rpm.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A14 carbs in USA are tuned from factory for 14.7:1 cruising air/fuel ratio (for catalytic convertor). However maximum power is made at a richer 12:1 approximate. The power valve enriches the A14 at full throttle but not that much. It is an economy engine. But it is easy to rejet for power.

For a turbo you will need to rejet the carb to make the engine last.

A12 is only slightly than A14 and is enough to run smoother. Still not rich enough for safe turbo operation.

USA jetting

A12 1971

Main jet 98, air jet 80. Jet/venturi ratio = 98/20 (4.9)

A14 1975-1977

Main jet 95, air jet 102-104. Jet/venturi ratio = 103/23 (4.5)

With smaller main jet and larger air bleed you can see how the A14 carb is much leaner.

The secondary barrel jetting for Australia

1980 A12

Secondary main jet 150. Air bleed 80. Jet/venturi ratio = 150/26 (5.8)

1980 A14

Secondary main jet 150. Air bleed 60. Jet/venturi ratio = 150/27 (5.6)

For this market the A14 is richer at high air flow (smaller jetting but with smaller air bleed = richer).

A12 and A14 use the same power jet which works at full throttle.

A12 carb has small venturis

A14 carb has large venturis, therefore flows more air, therefore makes more power over 5000 rpm on an A12.

On my '75 B210 and my '80 210 we used 1200 carbs and just switched out the main jets (put the A14 jets in the A12 carb). As I recall, they had the same size venturi on all 3 carbs. 

And both times, throttle response and "power" got better. Of course both A14 carbs were junk, so...    :rofl:

thanks for the detailed explanation , it is very helpful. 

A12 is only slightly than A14 and is enough to run smoother. Still not rich enough for safe turbo operation.

the a14 i mentioned is a replacement engine until i get everything ready on the a12 (re-machining it flat, parts from abroad, fitting the turbo ect). i don't intend to turbo the a14 being that i have only one and they are SUPER rare in Malta.  I got almost everything for it to run including the clutch kit i bought today. the only thing it is missing a carburetor. now if i understood you right , an a14 will run on an a12 carburetor but not to its full potential because tha carb on an a12 does not ha enough airflow to Fuel it at higher rpm than 5000rpm. I can get an a14 carb off ebay from china for about 80 euro but i don't think they are reliable.

What do you recommend i should do ggzilla? with regards to the carb problem

On my '75 B210 and my '80 210 we used 1200 carbs and just switched out the main jets (put the A14 jets in the A12 carb). As I recall, they had the same size venturi on all 3 carbs. 

And both times, throttle response and "power" got better. Of course both A14 carbs were junk, so...    :rofl:

do you have the sizes of the a14 jets? maybe I can buy and fit such jets to tha a12 (off a b310) carb i have

the a14 i mentioned is a replacement engine until i get everything ready on the a12

if i understood you right , an a14 will run on an a12 carburetor but not to its full potential because tha carb on an a12 does not ha enough airflow to Fuel it at higher rpm than 5000rpm. I can get an a14 carb off ebay from china for about 80 euro but i don't think they are reliable.

What do you recommend i should do ggzilla? with regards to the carb problem

I would use the A12 carb unmodified - it will run very well. Its temporary, and how often do you rev over 5000 rpm?

Very very very often, we use it (the red sunny not the silver) to "drift" in our race track, with welded diffs and skinny tires. But until i get the a12 turbo sorted i will take it easy, afterall i want the a14 to last. I don't need to rev it hard to get is sideways since the a14 is more powerfull than a12, andso far i managed to keep up (and often be better) then some of my lads with toyota ke70 with 4k engines

• Like 1

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh too valuable xD thanks for the help guys, much appriatiated. I will fit the a12 carb and look for a14 jets. I will inform you datsun freak if i the nissan dealership does not import them for me. Btw if you have an a14 carb for sale i am more than willing to buy one

thanks lad, then i think it is set. I only need to start the engine up before i install it in the sunny (since it came off a voilet) and finally i will have an a14 xD i hope the termostat housing is the same (it should be as i measured them) on both a12 and a14 as i don't have one with the a14. Also i need a tempreture sensor but they are easy to find i suppose