Big Flat spot at low RPM and some bucking on exceleration

ColtonMelson

Hello, 

I have an 83' datsun 720, nap-z24s 2 wheel drive single cab. I have put a rebuild kit on the carb, changed the fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor,oil, oil filter, and some other small things im sure. The truck sat for around 10 years when i got it for FREE. I drained the tank and all other fluids and had it running the next day. After a set of tires, tags and a seat cover, i was on the road

After the truck running great for about a month and getting 30mpg, something happend. it died one day on me. llong story short it just never did run the same. After putting some money into it, checking spark, making sure i had fuel up to the carb, (still have not checked the fuel pressure), and hooking my dist vac line back up i have my truck running good enough to take it down to the store for beer.

Now, when i start it, it starts great. no problem. When i take off down the road, it drives great. after getting about 2 or 3 miles down the road and my engine starts to heat up, i start to notice the changes. The throttle hits a really big flat stop at low RPM, in any gear. I come to a stop sign and when i take off i have to feather the throttle to get it to a high(im guessing lean) RPM. Then i take off and every gear i go through hits this flat spot or stumble untill i get to a high rpm.

Please elp im  new to datsun but not engines or forums   

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am embarrassed to say no i have not checked my valve lash.....  tomorrow i will buy a fuel pressure gauge.. What should the pressure be on a good fuel pump?  Also What should i look at after this. i have read a small passage on this site about a common problem of an over rich override that will not let the truck run and have to "limp home". i have done this. please help. I have not replaced the plug wires. could this be a problem? should i just spend 300$ on a weber 38 2 barrel? Would this handle my problem. My thought is that there is some type of failure in the carb but i have been wrong many many times in my life :-) 

I would think if my coil is bad it would not start... But! i do have 2 coils... SO i will check both of them tomorrow with a plug test (thx guy i didnt think of that).  But like i said my concern has been that there is still something wrong with the carb (even after a small clean and gasket kit). SO anyone else wanna pipe in with some ideas. Im about ready to just order the damn carb cuz i Love driving the truck and i cant drive it. it frustrates me that it runs great for about 3 miles then runs like shit. Its like a teaser....  So any input will be taken in to acct.   if a brand new weber is the answer, please let me know. But it would be crushing to spend 300$ and the truck still not run....

Thanks to all who read and reply!!!! 

Vacuum leak OR partially blocked primary jet OR the accelerator pump has quit working. The "huge flat spot" that has come about all of a sudden reminds me of when the carb on my '74 started acting up.....one quick look into the throat as you jazz the throttle will tell you if the accelerator pump is squirting fuel or not. 

--Ray 

unfortunately i did put a new accelerator pump on the carb when i put the gasket kit on it. i could not get even one jet out of the carb. EVERY jet in that carb would strip before it would break loose.... take this into consideration. I did drowned it in carb clean and blow it out with air and try to bloe the jets out the best i could...

ok so i have some new info! NO! my accelerator pump is NOT working..... like i said i put a new pump in it and blew the whole thing out with crab clean and air. ALSO im getting a small vac leak at the throttle body bushing were the shaft runs into the primary barrel.   SO what do i do next. ANY thing i can do to get the accel pump working??? did i do somthing wrong? i know i put the check ball, spring, plunger, and rubber gasket all in the right place. any old experiences would be nice to hear.

Im thinking thats whats gonna happen.. 300$ and free shipping on the weber 38 2 barrel.. Now what should i do with my exhaust after that just to pull a lil more ponies out of the 2.4? Is a header really going to make much of a difference? or should i just do a better mufler and a 2" pipe out and keep the stock headers??

Any one here that has played around with is and knows? if i got headers i would only buy the pace setters for 150$

This may be of some help........right beside the accel pump well, there is the discharge well with the check ball assy (green bit in the pic). Pull the plug from it and be sure the spring, weight (brass) and chrome ball aren't gummed up. Also check (carb spray) that the discharge tube is clear as well. 

The accel pump and this work together so check it out :)

Edit....this all assuming you are willing to diagnose the Hitachi.......(GGzilla cracks me up :p)

--Ray

0120130129.jpg

Hey there Colton, I would assume it was you I met the other day at Napa.... Either way, welcome to Ratsun!!

Anyway, what caught my eye about your post here is that you are saying that it heats up when you drive it.  What popped into my head is to check the timing. Seems to me that I remember that if your timing is off, this can cause the heating issue, and problems driving.  It also might be good to check your coils cold and when hot....  Then again, I could be WAY off....

Thanks Snoopy76 and yeah that was me you met at napa. haha thats cool, small world. But i have recently set timing 5* btdc, deleted the egr and vvt crap, and moved accel pump to the second hole that is on the plunger, from the rebuild kit, and it seems to be running a lot better. still have the vac leak at the throttel plate. So i will need a carb some time. but for now its getting me around

I have the same problem with my 73 620, big flat spot.  I use a 69 Hitachi L16 carb with manual choke.  I bought the carb re manufactured on ebay a few years back.  If I pull the choke some, the dead spot goes away but then it won't idle very well.

yes i have noticed when it is cold it seems to run alot better. im thinking it cuz the choke is still on. But when i was talking about the vac leak in the throttle body, im talking about were the shaft goes into the carb. the throttle cable hooks to it the it runs inside if the carb to hold the butterfly flap that opens and closes. The other barrel is obviously ran off vacuum on the stock carb