280zx 5spd transmission

I have a 1981-83 280zx 5spd transmission.

- Tall shifter ears

- Speedometer hold down bolt 6 o'clock position.

- Oil Fill plug on passengers side.

- TIGHT shaft ( input shaft play is non-existent !!! )

IMAG2390_zps666a6b08.jpg

(Speedomete clocking position)

IMAG2392_zps8241606c.jpg

(passengers side fill plug)

IMAG2394_zpsa7d2b021.jpg

(smooth top... so you know it's a 5spd)

IMAG2393_zps38dcf91a.jpg

Price : $250 or accepted offer.

Loal pickup preffered.

I will ship on your dime and patience.. if you're serious :)

UPS Ground.

PM or email is best

Thanks

Dtp

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like an '80-'83 non turbo zx to me. I have a '79 zx 5 speed and it didn't have the reverse check sleeve, the tall shifter 'ears' for the short throw shifter and the speedometer pinion hold down bolt wasn't in the 6 o'clock position like yours. This may be out of a '79 but it may have been replaced in the last 30+ tears.

Put in 5th gear and mark the input and output spline with some white out. Turn the input spline 10 times. If the output spline turned 7.75 times you have an '80  tranny. If 7.5 times you have an '81-'83 tranny. If slightly over 8 times you have an earlier z or a real '79zx 5 speed, but I doubt it.

Looks like an '80-'83 non turbo zx to me. I have a '79 zx 5 speed and it didn't have the reverse check sleeve, the tall shifter 'ears' for the short throw shifter and the speedometer pinion hold down bolt wasn't in the 6 o'clock position like yours. This may be out of a '79 but it may have been replaced in the last 30+ tears.

Put in 5th gear and mark the input and output spline with some white out. Turn the input spline 10 times. If the output spline turned 7.75 times you have an '80  tranny. If 7.5 times you have an '81-'83 tranny. If slightly over 8 times you have an earlier z or a real '79zx 5 speed, but I doubt it.

Thanks Datzenmike :) .. thats good news !!

I'm so out of it right now everything seems "blurry" or challenging .... can't think either .... :lol:

Will do so when in my right mind again :lol:

Any idea if this will bolt up to a 74 620 without replacing the drive shaft? If so, what part of the contry are you in? I really need a 5 speed it seems since I have to drive 60 miles on the hwy every day.

Edit: Haha, I'm blind... I see the local now. Can you see what shipping would be to 31211? I know its gonna be high but atleast it would give me a price to look at.

Any idea if this will bolt up to a 74 620 without replacing the drive shaft? If so, what part of the contry are you in? I really need a 5 speed it seems since I have to drive 60 miles on the hwy every day.

Edit: Haha, I'm blind... I see the local now. Can you see what shipping would be to 31211? I know its gonna be high but atleast it would give me a price to look at.

Kirden,

I pm'd you 2 shipping quotes :)

I'd pm datzenmike as he's the man on this stuff ;)

Thanks

Dtp

Any idea if this will bolt up to a 74 620 without replacing the drive shaft?

It should fit fine if you have a '74 620.  You must have this type of shifter with the horizontal pin through it...

IMAG2393_zps38dcf91a.jpg

You cannot use the 5 speed if you have this type of shifter in your truck..

7104spdremoval010Large2.jpg

Well not without a shorter driveshaft anyway.

Awesome, thanks for the pics Datzenmike. I'll definately check for that pin before I make the purchase. I took a look at it today and I seem to remember the pin looking like the first pic, but I will check again in more detail.