Help please!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dust shield is not required.Bellhousing bolts are nothing special. Get generic bolts at any hardware store or auto parts store. They are not the hitorque 8.8 bolt, just standard grade bolts.

I was told that without the dust shield it could cause premature TOB failure. Is there any truth to that?

I am in desperate need of bellhousing bolts and the dust shield that separated the motor and tranny. It's for a ka24 from a 240. These two thangs are the only thang that seperate me from finishing the swap into my 620.

If you mean the engine plate that fits between the motor and transmission, I would run one. The transmission will sit 1/8" closer to the flywheel and may throw off the clutch engagement point. On most engines the starter will be 1/8" too close to the flywheel because it's bolted to the transmission but on the 240sx I think it's bolted to the block so that shouldn't matter. The engine plate will afford some protection from flying stones thrown up by the front wheels. Not that they would hurt a flywheel but they can jam in near the starter ring. Also rain water, slush, mud and dirt... anything on the raad can and will get in. All that shit gets on the clutch surfaces. 

Its pretty simple to make a dust shield. Make a carboard template, then transfer to Aluminum or steel. (Hint Aluminum does not need treatment , steel would need paint, powdercoat, or POR-15. I would use Grade 8 bolts. Available at most parts stores. Cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

L20bandZ20Ebackingplate.jpg

L20B and a Z20 engine plate from standard trans. In theory they should interchange perfectly and also the L16/18. As the Z series and the KA series share the same bolt pattern they should work on them as well.

[img=http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/L20bandZ20Ebackingplate.jpg]

L20B and a Z20 engine plate from standard trans. In theory they should interchange perfectly and also the L16/18. As the Z series and the KA series share the same bolt pattern they should work on them as well.

So possibly from s30/s130 might work?

He probably means 10.9 which is the approximate metric equivalent of grade 8.

Ya I don't remember the exact details there just suppose to be stronger then stock. Heck as long as the don't snap and I dump the tranny I'm fine with any grade at this point. There's been 240s in all the junk yards until I need something then everyone is gone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.