what is a good way to deal with rust and keep the original paint?

BlueSue

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91675691@N03/8325595541/

I have a turquoise 1977 b210 that still has the original paint , and surprisingly its in pretty good shape.  I dont want to repaint it but i do want to do something about the rust. i dont want it to get worse, i really love the color, any ideas?  or any thing to NOT try?  ( I was thinking start with naval jelly?)  link to pics above

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of depends upon the rust. Where is it? Pictures of the damaged area would be great (could not see it from your linked pictures. Nice car.

Naval jelly will help remove rust but it will come back.

Naval Jelly removes rust and paint, so be careful how you apply it.  Yes, it will start to rust again no matter what you use or do to remove the existing rust.  That's what primer, especially epoxy based primer, is for - to give a good solid non-rust base for the coat of paint you need to apply.  Your 1977 paint code should be matchable by a reputable paint shop and blended into the existing coat.  Existing coat may need compounding to restore original non oxidized finish to accomplish sucessful color blend and match.  Good luck, old Amino Acrylic paint lasts!

Depends on the extent of the rust and its location. You could try naval jelly and sealing it with a small area of clear coat anywhere that's visible from the outside of the car. For other areas that won't be seen (floorboards, inside trunk, inside exterior body panels, etc.), you could try a rust encapsulating coating like POR 15. Ultimately, you'll need to replace rust-through areas and do some body work. The good news is any paint can be matched these days! So if you do just a little rust repair, you can get paint to match it and blend it in. Or you can strip down the whole car and repaint it the factory color you love so much.

As added ( but relevant ) topic. Best way to deal with windshield edge/under seal rust. I assume only way is to take glass off and weld new edges.  Finding a donor ( at junk yard ) car and cutting off all surrounding area would be posible ?  ( would need some battery operated saw ) 

Clear coat doesnt seal just fyi, not good advice. 
Take Mikes advice. neutralize the rust carefully, epoxy coat the area, have a shop paint and blend just the area and detail/clay the whole car to bring the paint back up. Its impossible to match the paint otherwise. 

You assume correct bob. You can stop or stall progression though by picking up a system eastwood sells. Its a rust preventer in a aerosol can with a 3ft hose as a nozzle. Its designed to coat the inside of pillars and rails. You can snake it past the window seal and coat most with the glass still in. Nothing will be repaired but it will help it from getting worse. 

Clear coat doesnt seal just fyi, not good advice. 

Take Mikes advice. neutralize the rust carefully, epoxy coat the area, have a shop paint and blend just the area and detail/clay the whole car to bring the paint back up. Its impossible to match the paint otherwise. 

You assume correct bob. You can stop or stall progression though by picking up a system eastwood sells. Its a rust preventer in a aerosol can with a 3ft hose as a nozzle. Its designed to coat the inside of pillars and rails. You can snake it past the window seal and coat most with the glass still in. Nothing will be repaired but it will help it from getting worse. 

Sorry, I wasn't clear on the clear coat idea. The idea is to retard the rust on any newly exposed metal after use of the naval jelly on areas seen from outside the car. It would save some time and dough in the short term, until the proper repair can be made. I guess you could call it a "redneck repair". Obviously, in an ideal world, the car would get stripped down and repainted to its factory beauty, and all rusted areas repaired or replaced. Since its not an ideal world, I have 3 cars being rotted away by mother nature, awaiting that winning lottery ticket.

I mean even in the short term just clear the scale, epoxy primer it and stop the rust. Clear coat is porous and lets moisture though. Then even if not you'd still have to strip that clear before repairs so... 

Your just trying to help, no worries.