Seattle/Tacoma driveline shop

bmacster

I took the truck out and about without the rear driveshaft in it to see if the vibration was still there and sure enough, it was. 

Any recommendations for a Seattle/Tacoma area drive line repair and any idea how much a spline replacement typically costs?

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We just took our 510 driveline to these guys up here in Everett for new u-joints and a re-balance for $160.  They have a location in Fife as well.  Super nice and easy to deal with.  I'm not sure how much they would charge for what you need, but I'm sure they could give you a quote over the phone.

http://www.drivelinesnw.com/locations-c16.html

> I took the truck out and about without the rear driveshaft in it to see if the vibration was still there and sure enough, it was.

So without the rear driveshaft installed, the vibration was still there? That indicates the vibration is not caused by the driveshaft.

I do not shop at Drivelines NW. They cut my driveshaft up, then told me it had non-replaceable u-joints, and insisted I pay them $150 for labot. I asked for the manager and he told me the same thing, so I walked out.

If you have a 4-inch lift, you may simply be exceeding the operating angle of the u-joints. If so, new u-joints will vibrate in the same way.

From what I can at least tell, the lift is just the standard body lift from Datsun/Nissan. The drivelines are completely straight.

Standard body lift? Do you mean the optional body lift kit?

Because your avatar looks like it is lifted:

photo-thumb-13854.jpg

You can test the u-joints yourself, its easy if the shaft is out: Flex the u-joints by hand. It should:

* Move smoothly (not stiff), in all directions

* Be tight and smooth

Replace if loose or binding or notchy feeling.

Also check the back-lash of the yoke when it is in the transmission. Put transmission is gear and attempt to rotate the yoke back and forth. You should not be able to feel any looseness (in direction of rotation) with the tranmission in gear. If it is loose, new u-joints won't fix that problem.

Standard body lift? Do you mean the optional body lift kit?

Because your avatar looks like it is lifted:

photo-thumb-13854.jpg

You can test the u-joints yourself, its easy if the shaft is out: Flex the u-joints by hand. It should:

* Move smoothly (not stiff), in all directions

* Be tight and smooth

Replace if loose or binding or notchy feeling.

Also check the back-lash of the yoke when it is in the transmission. Put transmission is gear and attempt to rotate the yoke back and forth. You should not be able to feel any looseness (in direction of rotation) with the tranmission in gear. If it is loose, new u-joints won't fix that problem.

Double checked everything. There is quite a bit of play in the spline (can wiggle it back and forth pretty good). I replaced the u-joints before I drove the truck home to see if that would kill the vibration. (Sorry, left that out) 

Drive line itself is straight, lined up properly, and is in spec. Wheels and tires were balanced before I drove it home as well. Those were in surprisingly good shape. 

The stock ride height hasn't been changed. According to everywhere I have read, Datsun/Nissan used body shims to achieve the lift. Can do a Google (or Bing) search for pictures to compare. Looking around the truck, there are shims everywhere around the thing between the frame and the body (personally, I would rather have those all removed since this truck won't be doing any major off-roading) Front is 13" Rear is 14", ground to bottom of the body.

I used Drivelines NW in Fife, they did good work but unless you pay for emergency service, dont expect to get it in the time they tell you. My "next day" took three.

I am going to have Drivelines NW in Seattle take care of it. I've heard too many mixed things on the Fife location to be confident.

I'll report back when I get the work done! =D

Ah, so new u-joints didn't solve the problem.

There should be no play in the yoke splines. So that is a problem to solve.

I'll check that tomorrow and report back. I didn't feel any when I took the drive line out. I'll verify that when I put it back in. 

First of all... BRR... Can't wait to get a house and have a heated garage.... 

Secondly, no real play in gear or in any of the ranges. The spline definitely feels like the weak point as I can wiggle it up/down and left/right. Drove it a little bit at hwy speed and the vibration was there. 

Whatever it is, it is 100% the driveshaft. 

really it could be a handful of things, but at the very bottom should be slip yoke worn out. My guess is that it is at a much weaker, more prone to wear area. Like the transfer case mounts, or transmission mounts, or tire out of balance, breaks?? is the vibe at a certain speed? did you see any clean/bare spots where there might have been a balance weight that fell off? more pics would be helpful.

There are a bunch of things ya can try before dropping the driveline off, and spending $150 ish bucks.

Swap the front tires to the rear, and rear to the front. Drive and see if vibe feels like its now in the front.

check the breaks on the rear,

check tighten the u-bolts

see if there is play in the rear diff, turn the flange by hand with tires on ground, there should be very minimal play.

check the rear springs, the bushings, the shackels,

I mean it could be the yoke, but i wouldnt know with out feeling it. But i just dont imagine that part wearing out. you should come over to my house and let me see :) and then pick up the oil pressure sending unit... lol

really it could be a handful of things, but at the very bottom should be slip yoke worn out. My guess is that it is at a much weaker, more prone to wear area. Like the transfer case mounts, or transmission mounts, or tire out of balance, breaks?? is the vibe at a certain speed? did you see any clean/bare spots where there might have been a balance weight that fell off? more pics would be helpful.

There are a bunch of things ya can try before dropping the driveline off, and spending $150 ish bucks.

Swap the front tires to the rear, and rear to the front. Drive and see if vibe feels like its now in the front.

check the breaks on the rear,

check tighten the u-bolts

see if there is play in the rear diff, turn the flange by hand with tires on ground, there should be very minimal play.

check the rear springs, the bushings, the shackels,

I mean it could be the yoke, but i wouldnt know with out feeling it. But i just dont imagine that part wearing out. you should come over to my house and let me see :) and then pick up the oil pressure sending unit... lol

I haven't checked the transfer case or transmission mounts. When I was looking around, I couldn't find any replacement mounts for the transfer case, unless they are the same as something else? 

The tires were balanced good. I rotated them on your advice earlier in the year =) 

It starts to vibe at 50ish and goes up from there. 

I had the breaks checked at 2 different shops, just in case because the truck doesn't seem to want to roll freely at times.

What days do you have free? I am still working Thurs-Mon. Getting the timed fixed on Wednesday at a friends place in Seattle.