i need help with my tranny problem.........

Eagle_Adam

ok, down to the last few things before i can check this build off my list for a while.

Im stuck, on a tranny..... :confused:

actually im stuck on how to mount said tranny propperly... :rofl:

I pulled a 5 speed from a 720, and the 620 im working on had a 4 speed in it to begin with.

The 4 speed mount is about an inch too tall and the 5 speed diddnt have a mount.

Sooooooooooo, whats the correct x member and mount to install a 720 5 speed in a 620?

http://community.rat...ad/#entry768435

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What year 720 trans? Only 1980 longtail will fit. 81+ longtail fits but needs L-series front case. Otherwise it's a bolt-in, assuming this is the '75. '73s need the 74+ longtail mounts. I've done this many times, always used the 620's original soft mount and crossmember. Sure the trans isn't hanging low? Cab isn't body dropped (intentionally or not- my blue '76 body dropped itself to the point the trans hit the tunnel).

What Doug said. The long 71B 4 and 5 speeds for L or Z series are the same at the mounting area. If you had a 71B 4 speed, a 5 speed will bolt right in (assuming you have an '80 or swapped your L case onto it) onto the 4 speed rubber isolator mount.and cross member.

What year 720 trans? Only 1980 longtail will fit. 81+ longtail fits but needs L-series front case.

PnP marked it as an 81 720 but it had an L20b in it

Otherwise it's a bolt-in, assuming this is the '75. '73s need the 74+ longtail mounts.

the 620 im working on is a 75

I've done this many times, always used the 620's original soft mount and crossmember. Sure the trans isn't hanging low?

what do you mean by hanging low?

Cab isn't body dropped (intentionally or not- my blue '76 body dropped itself to the point the trans hit the tunnel).

nope

What Doug said. The long 71B 4 and 5 speeds for L or Z series are the same at the mounting area. If you had a 71B 4 speed, a 5 speed will bolt right in (assuming you have an '80 or swapped your L case onto it) onto the 4 speed rubber isolator mount.and cross member.

Skib and i decided to call it a night and try again tomorrow. I must be tired cus ive done this before once

Well, the trans hangs low when there's no rear mount. You have to raise it with a jack, or at least I have to; I suppose someone can strongarm it up there. On my old '75 KC the cab had collapsed so badly that to get the transmission in and out I had to jack the cab up. Not to difficult on the taking out bit since I didn't care anymore; the middle and rear cab mounts were gone.