FS5W71B 5-spd won't stay in 5th gear.

620connor

Whats up guys. So i found a 1977 280z FS5W71B 5-speed trans that a dude is selling for $80 in my area, but he says when he shifts into 5th gear it pops back out. He says all other gears work fine. My question is- what needs to be repaired in order to make it work properly again? Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove the tailstock and tighten the mainshaft nut.

Over on the middle right side follow the mainshaft to the left and you'll see a large nut. The nut on this model has a collar on it's right side that can be peened over to prevent the nut loosening. Your may not have this on yours. Also your transmission may have the worm gear for the speedometer to the rear of the nut. The torque for the mainshaft nut is 100- 125 ft lbs.

transFS5W71B5thandrev001-1.jpg

Once tightened, if you don't have a way to peen the nut try a small welding tack to hold it in place. Early 5 speeds were prone to this nut coming loose.

The loose nut was a common problem on the early 5 speeds. My '78 620 started doing it.

Wear or damage to the 5th synchro hub might. The thing is, is 5th gear gets the least use.

I guess you're hoping there is something you can look at without removing the transmission? Will you settle for a hail Mary?.....

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx016Large.jpg

This is my FS5W71B from a CA18ET viewed from the passenger side. The front case half is separated from the steel adapter plate that holds all the gears, and the aluminum rear half is still attached, though loose.

If you look on the side half way up the steel adapter plate you'll see what looks like two bolt heads. (with oil on them) These are plugs that screw in and beneath is a strong spring pushing a round steel check ball. The bottom one is over the reverse/5th shift rod which has three grooves in it that the ball drops into and holds it in. Reverse... Neutral...Fifth. It provides a slight resistance against slipping out of gear that can easily be overcome by using the shifter. You can remove the bottom one and inspect the ball and spring (in the car) but I have doubts this will be the cause.