crunching numbers turbo 2.3 521

svo521

got some $$ to spend on the 521 so im trying to decide on a 720 frame swap or custom arms and junk yard treasures... i can get a rolling 720 frame with the column for $400 but there is alot more work involved(especially as the engine is not a bolt in deal) but im having trouble getting in contact with anyone who builds custom arms... any help would be great!! would love to be able drive on freeway again (going from 70-90mph at 17 psi makes me feel like an astronaut) :-)

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got some $$ to spend on the 521 so im trying to decide on a 720 frame swap or custom arms and junk yard treasures... i can get a rolling 720 frame with the column for $400 but there is alot more work involved(especially as the engine is not a bolt in deal) but im having trouble getting in contact with anyone who builds custom arms... any help would be great!! would love to be able drive on freeway again (going from 70-90mph at 17 psi makes me feel like an astronaut) :-)

Personally I would go with the frame swap, the 1980 frame has an L20b in it, but it's likely your frame isn't an 80.

Mike is making a setup for the 520/521 that has custom upper and lower control arms for the 521, he isn't done yet, but it will work properly when finished, I would stake my life on that statement, here is a link to the thread, it has a lot of videos, but you will get the idea, and what's best is, he sells his products.

http://community.rat...0-project-mend/

PM him if you want to buy a set from him, at the moment you have time to get in before he commits to a certain number of sets.

i dont see any gain from the frame swap..

yeah, it already has disk brakes, but if your going to upgrade those, then you could have just done a disk swap on the stock frame.

again, anything that your going to do with the swapped frame you can do with the stock one.

save the 400 duckets, and rebuild the front end with new bushings, and do the z31 disk brake swap... id bet youd be much happier that youd be drivin it alot sooner.

this way then you prolly wont need any special arms.

any way you look at it, no matter how much you money you throw at the front suspension, the shits still gonna be a lil crazy at upper of 80..

and then what kind of turbo 2.3? like a ford 2300?

get back to us!

• 4 months later...

Got the truck safe to drive (at least for now)  making preperations for a trip to the bay area hopefully sometime this week.  Doing alot of testing and tuning and i almost have the fuel table perfect (still a little rich)... once i have the new control arms the rest should be easily sourced from local wrecking yards......than the hunt begins for a passenger side fender(thank you elderly oregon driver!) and maybe a stock bed(never liked the fact the PO hacked the hooks and rails off the one i have) but thats just cosmetic...if its fast enough.... no one will notice the subtle(lmao) flaws :-)